cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New to using JMP? Hit the ground running with the Early User Edition of Discovery Summit. Register now, free of charge.
Register for our Discovery Summit 2024 conference, Oct. 21-24, where you’ll learn, connect, and be inspired.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
sanch1
Level I

Definitive Screening Design Workflow

sanch1_0-1724157156318.png

sanch1_1-1724157179540.png

Hello,

I ran a Definitive screening design and generated a table by selecting "Add block with center runs to estimate quadratic effects. I collected the response data and added it to the table. But when I try to run "Fit Definitive Screening", I'm met with this error:

sanch1_2-1724157315320.png

The Fit Definitive Screening platform only runs when I hide/exclude runs from block 2. Am I doing something wrong? How do I run a model with all of the runs included? Do I have do some kind of augmented design to include the second block?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Victor_G
Super User

Re: Definitive Screening Design Workflow

Hi @sanch1,

Sorting the datatable don't change the design structure and analysis. However, removing an experiment from the table will destroy the design foldover structure (there will be one experimental run without its "mirror image" counterpart, which prevent from using the Fit DSD analysis platform). You will face the same problem and error message with response missing value(s), or by excluding row(s) in the table. 

I have the same error message than you when removing any run from the design table and trying to launch the Fit DSD platform :

Victor_G_0-1724166823862.png

I would recommend using other modeling platforms (as mentioned in my response before) to do the analysis.

Hope this answer your question,

Victor GUILLER
Scientific Expertise Engineer
L'Oréal - Data & Analytics

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Victor_G
Super User

Hi @sanch1,

I just tried to reproduce the same error by creating the same design type with 8 continuous factors, 2 blocks, 8 extra runs :

Victor_G_0-1724158527346.png

When using a random formula to model a response with this design, I have no error and can continue the analysis :

Victor_G_2-1724159131174.png

I have the same design as you (you can also find it attached) :

Victor_G_1-1724158844863.png

Normally you would get this error message when one or several experimental runs are not part of the design and destroys the foldover structure, see https://community.jmp.com/t5/Discussions/How-can-I-add-extra-runs-into-the-designed-runs-from-Defini... 

There are many other ways to proceed with the analysis using the Fit Model platform if necessary, using Stepwise models, Generalized regression models, etc... 

But in your case, row 18 is perfectly fine and is the "mirror image" of row 17 in the same block 1, so the foldover structure is present and respected.

Did you change any factors values in this row (or in others) after generating the design ?

Did you try launching the "Fit DSD" platform from the menu (menu DOE, Definitive Screening, Fit Definitive Screening) ?

Can you share an anonymized version of your dataset and design ?

Hope this first discussion starter might help you,

Victor GUILLER
sanch1
Level I

Hi Victor,

I did make some changes to the table:

1. I sorted the data table ascending by block for organization

2. The experiment in run 19 I had to remove due to it failing before I could collect results.

would either of these have threw off the DSD design?

Victor_G
Super User

Hi @sanch1,

Sorting the datatable don't change the design structure and analysis. However, removing an experiment from the table will destroy the design foldover structure (there will be one experimental run without its "mirror image" counterpart, which prevent from using the Fit DSD analysis platform). You will face the same problem and error message with response missing value(s), or by excluding row(s) in the table. 

I have the same error message than you when removing any run from the design table and trying to launch the Fit DSD platform :

Victor_G_0-1724166823862.png

I would recommend using other modeling platforms (as mentioned in my response before) to do the analysis.

Hope this answer your question,

Victor GUILLER
sanch1
Level I

I went ahead using a method with the All possible models approach through Stepwise. Thank you so much for your help!

statman
Super User

Pardon my comments (and ignore them if you prefer), but stepwise is not how you should analyze DOE.  Stepwise is an additive model building approach useful when you don't have a model in mind (e.g., data mining).  When you run experiments you start with a model in mind.  This is a function of the factors and levels (and strategies for handling noise).  From the model you started with, you remove insignificant terms (a subtractive approach).

"All models are wrong, some are useful" G.E.P. Box
sanch1
Level I

Interesting approach! However, given this particular approach where I have one data point (as I wasn't able to complete that run), what would you recommend instead to get anything useful out of the data I still have?

statman
Super User

Sorry, I haven't been following the whole thread and I saw Victor was giving advice so I didn't comment.  You ran an experiment with a set number of factors and levels.  Apparently you also decided to run blocks and center points.  Regardless, you should have a model assigning your DF's.  And you should absolutely analyze the data with that model.

See my advice from this thread regarding missing data:

https://community.jmp.com/t5/Discussions/JMP-DOE-chromatography-data-table-How-do-I-enter-values-for...

"All models are wrong, some are useful" G.E.P. Box