cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
‘New to using JMP? Hit the ground running with the Early User Edition of Discovery Summit – register now, free of charge.
Register for our Discovery Summit 2024 conference, Oct. 21-24, where you’ll learn, connect, and be inspired.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
doraemengs
Level III

How to link the column code from one table to another table dataset

Hi everyone, I have 2 data tables. My dataset table "Dataset.jmp" had the column data as a code "ENICITY" and "ETHCAT" that I need to link with dataset "Dictionary.jmp" that can change the code into labels (in the Labels column of Dictionary file). My actual dataset had 50 categories, so  I cannot use the function "Value Labels" of all categories. Any idea for linking the row of one table to the column of another table with the exact value? the column that I want is the result column on Dataset.jmp file

I attached the files here.

Thank you so much!

Best, 

1 REPLY 1
txnelson
Super User

Re: How to link the column code from one table to another table dataset

Look into 

Tables=>Join

Subset data table Dictionary by the Column column into a table for ETHCAT and one for ETHNICITY.  Change the Value column into a numeric column.  For the ETHNICITY data table, the Null or Missing needs to be expanded into 2 rows with Value having the value of . and one having the value of 0 

Join each of the subsetted tables to the data table called dataset, joining ETHNICITY with Value for the one table, and ETHCAT with Value for the second table.

Jim