Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Data Analysis

asaalsaadi10

Community Trekker

Oct 21, 2015

I have a set of data (A = 1X32) and another set of data (B = 1X32) and I have a third column which is (C) C=(B-A)/A. Each element in the matrix has its own name what I am trying to get is that the highest 10 values of (C) with their names. That can be done manually  by using excel but I want to use more sophisticated way to do that.
Is that possible in JMP12?
2 REPLIES
kevin_c_anderso

Community Trekker

Jun 5, 2014

Hi, asaalsaadi10.

Of course, it's possible.  But don't use JMP because it's sophisticated.  Use JMP because it does operations and math correctly (unlike Excel). 

How would you do it in Excel?  Sort C descending, and pick the first 10 rows?  That's easily done in JMP or JSL.  But some questions come to mind.

What if 12 (for instance) values of C tie at the maximum?  Do you want 10 and only 10 rows chosen arbitrarily?  Or do you want the names of all 12?

Will you ever do this for datasets much larger?  What if all the As and Bs are missing?

asaalsaadi10

Community Trekker

Oct 21, 2015

Hi Kevin,

The problem that I am facing at the moment is the names of the max 10 values (this is the most important element at the moment), these values are labelled with specific names. If I end up with 12 values have that will be fine I can then eliminate  some of them depending on our calculations.