cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
razmah
Level II

Changing the names in legend of plot

Hi

I have 6 variables: Step1=12, Step2=13, Step3=10, A=500, B=900, C=1300.

and I'm ploting col "x" vs first three variables ,that are names of columns, like below; but I want to change the name of them to variables A, B, and C in the legend of plot. (see pic). how can I do that? how can I change :Name("12") to show 500 (the value of A) instead of 12?

Thanks

t = current data table();

Overlay Plot(

X( :x ),

Y( Column( dt, Char(Step1)), Column( dt, Char(Step2)), Column( dt, Char(Step3)) ) ,

Connect Points( 1 ),

:Name("12")(Connect Color( 3), Overlay Marker Color( 3 ),

Overlay Marker( 12 ), Line Width( "Thin" )),

:Name("13")(Connect Color( 0 ), Overlay Marker Color( 0 ),

Overlay Marker( 16 ), Line Width( "Thin" )),

:Name("10")(Connect Color( 20 ), Overlay Marker Color( 20 ),

Overlay Marker( 15 ), Line Width( "Thin" )));

9251_Capture.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
XanGregg
Staff

Re: Changing the names in legend of plot

Thanks for providing the larger table. To keep the A and B lines separate, use the Overlay role. Here's a script.

linepointsoverlay.png

Graph Builder(
	Variables( X( :Column 1 ), Y( :Pressure ), Overlay( :Chamber )),
	Elements( Points( X, Y, Legend( 7 ) ), Line( X, Y, Legend( 8 ) ) )
)

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
sibanibisoyi
Level I

I have the same Problem. Is there is no solution for the above mentioned Problem?

XanGregg
Staff

I'm not exactly sure what the question is. Is it a scripting question or a UI question? Is it specific to Overlay Plot or to legends in general? Graph Builder is recommended instead of Overlay Plot these days and has a more flexible legend, among other things.
sibanibisoyi
Level I

I am using Overplay plot because i need points with line, which I couldn't find in the Graph Builder.

This question is specific to the Overplay plot.

I want to change the legend name Chamber=a to A and Chamber=b to B. Since, I have lot of similar graphs I want to do the changes in the graph and not in the data table column names.

Overlay Plot(
	X( :Column 1 ),
	Y( :Pressure ),
	Grouping( :Chamber ),
	Overlay Groups,
	Connect Points( 1 )
);

Overlay Plot(
	X( :Column 1 ),
	Y( :Pressure ),
	Grouping(
		Transform Column(
			"Chamber_UC",
			Character,
			Nominal,
			Formula( Uppercase( :Chamber ) )
		)
	),
	Overlay Groups
);

Graph Builder(
	Size( 522, 450 ),
	Show Control Panel( 0 ),
	Graph Spacing( 10 ),
	Variables( X( :Column 1 ), Y( :Pressure ), Overlay( :Chamber ) ),
	Elements( Points( X, Y, Legend( 5 ) ), Smoother( X, Y, Legend( 6 ) ) ),
	SendToReport(
		Dispatch(
			{},
			"400",
			ScaleBox,
			{Legend Model( 6, Level Name( 0, "A" ), Level Name( 1, "B" ) )}
		)
	)
);

If you use this Script with your data table you will get three graphs:

First is your Overlay Plot as it is.

Second is an Overlay Plot with a local transformed variable created in the Overlay Plot Menu Window by right click on Chamber in the variable selection area, then using "formula", then click in the Formula Editor on "Chamber" and then "Character"->"Uppercase". This newly build (and not present in the data table) variable can be used as Group variable (may you have to change the Appearance using the red triangle options to avoid two plots.

Third is the easiest one as Xan proposed already. It is build with Graph Builder. You need to place "Column 1" on "X" and "Pressure" on "Y", then "Chamber" on "Overlay". Next you doubleclick on the legend and change the names by doubleclick on "a" and "b" in the now opened window and change it to Uppercase. In case you cannot see both lines and points you need to either drag the missing icon into the graph or hold the shift key and klick on the missing icon on top of the graph. 

However, you should now get to your result, either by script or manually.

Cheers,

Martin 

/****NeverStopLearning****/
sibanibisoyi
Level I

Hallo Martin,

Thanks for your reply. But it doesn't solve my Problem.

1 and 2 point) are basically changing the column name (which I don't want). I need to change the variable name inside the columns itself.

3) I know how to change the legends in Graph Builder.But as mentioned that I need to use Overlay Plot because I need connecting lines between the Points which is not possible in Graph Builder (as far as I know).

Can you please tell me is it possible to change the variable names inside the column using Overlay plot or JMP doesn't allow this?

Thank you.

Sibani

sibanibisoyi
Level I

In principle if I know how can i use the following command (found in Scripting book)

''Labeled(Row State())=1; // labels current row

it might help me.

But I am not sure.

Hmm, this is what I've done with Graph Builder, it has lines and points. Am I missing something?

Btw, double click on the legend in Overlay Plot does also open the legend window and I can change the entries. What version of JMP are you using? This all should be available in JMP 12 and probably back to JMP 10. Not fully shure anymore if GB was introduced in JMP 9 or 10, and the overlay plot  I believe was there right from the beginning or at least one version later. 

sibanibisoyi
Level I

I am using JMP 12. Can you please show a video in which you are able to change the legend names because in my case I can change the legend name. But as soon as I say Ok. nothing is changed.