cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Can JMP read PDF file/s?

Can JMP read PDF file/s?

We have many PDF and EXCEL files to read to generate report.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

Re: Can JMP read PDF file/s?

10 REPLIES 10

Yes, If you just want to view a pdf in JMP. Yes, JMP has the capability to upload the file and view it. If you have a pdf file with data that you need to extract, than you might want to use the Internet Option by clicking on File > Internet option and select it either as a web page or text.

11890_pastedImage_0.png

That brings you to this pop-up window which ask you for the URL. Copy and paste it there and select the Open As: Webage, Data and Text.

11891_pastedImage_1.png

As for Excel, JMP reads all Excel files saved as EXCEL, Text, CSV, etc. Do you know that you can also upload directly JMP by using the JMP-Excel Add-in?

Jenkins Macedo

My PDF files are on the local network drive. Any clue. 

msharp
Super User (Alumni)

Let's be a little adventurous shall we?  What do you think will happen when you put a file path location into a web browser?  It opens it!

Let's try the same here. 

Example:

11894_pastedImage_0.png

It works!

I already tried to put path name as : c:\temp\my_test_file.pdf

I got the message below.

11895_JMP_Capture.PNG

Did you attempt uploading the file from your local computer using the internet connectivity data upload file above? If you are uploading directly from your computer instead of the internet, you don't need the link, but rather use the File > Open option

Jenkins Macedo
msharp
Super User (Alumni)

I'm going to recommend what Jenkins recommends below since it appears that you are trying to import data saved in a .pdf format.  I'm betting the easiest way is to convert the PDF files into an extension better suited for data manipulation like a .txt or .csv.

What specifically are on those pdf files? Data? If data, convert the pdf as a text file and upload such that you can retrieve the data. You can also upload the pdf directly, but that will only allow you to view the contents of the pdf and nothing else, or maybe I could be mistaken. There are lots software out there that you can use to convert pdf back to just a simple text file. Once that conversion is done, you can upload it as a text file directly to JMP. As for Excel files, just upload that as Excel by selecting the appropriate file format during upload by clicking File > Open > and than change the file format to Excel or whichever format your file was originally saved in.

Jenkins Macedo

Thanks for all the responses from smart JMP contributors. Learned that PDF file needs to be converted to EXCEL | DOC file format

in order to use it wisely.

I just posted a recommendation out there for developers to come up with an Add-in that can convert pdf data files into text format to else the troubles with having to use other software to convert these pdf files into text file/excel anirdesh@gmail.com

Jenkins Macedo