cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Knut
Level III

How to save script permanently with data table

I want to save a script (e.g. for creating a graph) with a data table so that I can reuse it whenever I open this data table. However, if I close the Graph Builder window or save the data table, the scripts "saved" to the data table are gone.

What am I doing wrong?

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: How to save script permanently with data table

After you run Graph Builder, I am assuming you are going under the red triangle, and specifying to "Save Script to Data Table".  If you then save the data table, the script is saved with it.  What I think you are expecting, is that when you reopen the data table, the Graph Builder display will be opened at the same time.  This is not what will happen.  You need to go to the Tables Panel at the top left of the data table, and click on the item called Graph Builder, or whatever you named the script.

Jim

View solution in original post

Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

@Knut, could you clarify exactly what issue you're experiencing?

@Knut wrote:

I want to save a script (e.g. for creating a graph) with a data table so that I can reuse it whenever I open this data table. However, if I close the Graph Builder window or save the data table, the scripts "saved" to the data table are gone.

What am I doing wrong?

When you chose Scripts->Save Script to Data Table... from any red triangle JMP will save a script to the scripts area of the data table.

Save Script to Data TableSave Script to Data Table

When you save the data table that script should be saved with the data table and when you open it again you can run it by clicking the green triangle next to the script name. Is there some part of this process that is not working for you?

Or, do you want the Graph Builder window to open up automatically when you open the data table? If so, then the solutions provided by @txnelson or @Mark_Bailey are the right direction:

1. A project will allow you save a collection of windows/tabs which will open back up in the same state that you save them. 
  2. A script named OnOpen will run automatically when a data table is opened.

I hope that helps.

-Jeff

Jeff_Perkinson

@Knut wrote:

Here's one of these cases. I've created a table with all the data I need to create a graph (or to do some an alysis). I've used Graph Builder to create the graph and chose "Save Script / To Data Table" - and there it is below the data table:

Capture.JPG

Now I save the data table to SBW.jmp - done.

After some time I learn that some of the data needs to be corrected, so I reopen the data table, and the graph is gone - bummer.

Now, we're getting somewhere. Thanks for posting the screen shot. That and your comment "there it is below the data table" now explains the confusion.

The thumbnails below the data table show the reports windows that are based on that data table. They are not part of the data table. They don't have anything to do with saving scripts to the data table – they show up with every report window you open on that data table, whether you save a script to the data table or not. And, as you've discovered, they aren't saved with the data table.

From what I learned from you, the script is actually there (having a green triangle), but not where I had expected it. Maybe subheadings "Graphs", "Analyses", ... separating the green triangles would help?

You can do this by selecting multiple scripts and right-clicking on them and choosing Group scripts.

Parallels DesktopScreenSnapz064.png

-Jeff

12 REPLIES 12
txnelson
Super User

After you run Graph Builder, I am assuming you are going under the red triangle, and specifying to "Save Script to Data Table".  If you then save the data table, the script is saved with it.  What I think you are expecting, is that when you reopen the data table, the Graph Builder display will be opened at the same time.  This is not what will happen.  You need to go to the Tables Panel at the top left of the data table, and click on the item called Graph Builder, or whatever you named the script.

Jim
Knut
Level III

Yes, I was expecting that the (unnamed) script to recreate the graph, when saved to the data table would be saved with the data table and still be there when the data table is opened again. Wouldn't that be a nice feature?

txnelson
Super User

and then how would you handle the data table that has 50 scripts saved in it?

Jim
Knut
Level III

If you are concerned about storage, are a few KB really a problem? If you are concerned about the user interface, if it can be managed before the data table is stored, why not when it is restored? If there is a limit (10 scripts?) let the user know. Giving the option to “save”, but then not “saving” is at least confusing.
txnelson
Super User

I believe the functionality you want is surfaced using a JMP project, rather than open platforms.  If you opened and ran your analyses under a JMP platform, you can just save and close the project, and when you reopen it, you go right back to the data tables, graphs charts, etc. just the way they were when you closed it.

Jim

Adding to Jim's last comments, you can also re-name the table script to OnOpen and it will run automatically whenever this data table is opened. Another option is to save a session script. It re-establishes all your work in progress at the time the session was saved.

You have a lot of ways to solve this request!

Jeff_Perkinson

@Knut, could you clarify exactly what issue you're experiencing?

@Knut wrote:

What am I doing wrong?

When you chose Scripts->Save Script to Data Table... from any red triangle JMP will save a script to the scripts area of the data table.

Save Script to Data TableSave Script to Data Table

When you save the data table that script should be saved with the data table and when you open it again you can run it by clicking the green triangle next to the script name. Is there some part of this process that is not working for you?

Or, do you want the Graph Builder window to open up automatically when you open the data table? If so, then the solutions provided by @txnelson or @Mark_Bailey are the right direction:

1. A project will allow you save a collection of windows/tabs which will open back up in the same state that you save them. 
  2. A script named OnOpen will run automatically when a data table is opened.

I hope that helps.

-Jeff
Knut
Level III

Jeff, thanks for getting back to me.

Bear with me =I I haven't worked with JMP for some time so I forgot all the secret handshakes ;)

Here's one of these cases. I've created a table with all the data I need to create a graph (or to do some an alysis). I've used Graph Builder to create the graph and chose "Save Script / To Data Table" - and there it is below the data table:

Capture.JPG

Now I save the data table to SBW.jmp - done.

After some time I learn that some of the data needs to be corrected, so I reopen the data table, and the graph is gone - bummer.

From what I learned from you, the script is actually there (having a green triangle), but not where I had expected it. Maybe subheadings "Graphs", "Analyses", ... separating the green triangles would help?

I also had tried to create a Project, but I didn't find the information to understand how.

Thanks again,
Knut

Knut
Level III

After being reminded of projects, I tried to create one (and I remember that at some time I could do so via File/Open/...), but now I can't :(