cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
jkimmich
Level I

Best Fit Line

I am having trouble in a data set getting the best line of fit.  I am able to get the smooth line in graph builder but when I click "best fit" icon nothing happens.  Then when I run fit Y by X, I don't see anywhere I can select the best fitting line.  Do I need to change something in my settings maybe?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Best Fit Line

Your time variable has the nominal modeling type. That means JMP thinks it is categorical, therefore regression (or best fit line) is not appropriate. Change the time to have the continuous modeling type.

Dan Obermiller

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
jkimmich
Level I

Here is a picture of the example.  As you can see in the picture I have both the smooth line and the best line of fit selected, however, I only see the smooth line.  

Your time variable has the nominal modeling type. That means JMP thinks it is categorical, therefore regression (or best fit line) is not appropriate. Change the time to have the continuous modeling type.

Dan Obermiller