Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Basic Questions using oracle SQL and JSL

xiaorui

New Contributor

Jun 4, 2017

I am not new to JSL but new to Oracle SQL. I am using Mac version JMP13. I obtained database login info my company's MES.

URL (hostname): xxxxxx
Service Namexxxxxx
Port: 1521
Userxxxxxx
Passwordxxxxxx
Also I have the querry script through Oracle SQL developer version 4.2 to pull certain tables from database.
With this information, how to pull these tables by using JSL? What is the syntax to use open database? 
I am not sure if I need to install ODBC driver on my Mac or not. Also 32bit or 64bit of driver is not clear to me. Please help. Thanks.

7 REPLIES
ian_jmp

Staff

Jun 23, 2011

Even if you know SQL already, and especially because you don't know JSL, it's probably best to let JMP generate all the code you need by using Query Builder. You can inspect the resulting code if you are curious. You will need an ODBC driver for OS/X.

pmroz

Super User

Jun 23, 2011

You need to match the "bit-ness" of the Oracle client on the MAC to that of JMP.  So if you're using 64-bit JMP you'll need the 64-bit Oracle client.

xiaorui

New Contributor

Jun 4, 2017

How to tell if my JMP13 on my macbook pro is 64 bit or 32 bit? Also I have Oracle SQL developer 4.2 installed on my mac. How to check if the developer 4.2 for mac is 64 bit or not? Where can I download the ODBC driver? Thanks.

ian_jmp

Staff

Jun 23, 2011

On the Mac 'JMP > About JMP Pro . . . ' will tell you if you are using the 32 or 64 bit version. For ODBC drivers I use Actual Technologies for open source databases (but not Oracle). I'm sure there are alternatives.

xiaorui

New Contributor

Jun 4, 2017

I am using JMP13 64bit on Mac. Now what driver should I get for Oracle SQL ODBC? Thanks.
xiaorui

New Contributor

Jun 4, 2017

I found the following links for Oracle drivers.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/windows/index-098976.html
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/features/oci/odbc-ic-releasenotes-094306.html

But I am not clear which one to use for Mac. It seems that there is no driver for Mac OS. Please help.
ian_jmp

Staff

Jun 23, 2011

My answer above may have been ambiguous - If you click on the Actual Technologies link you will see that they do have an Oracle driver (but I haven't used that one). As I said already there may be alternatives, so this should not be taken as a recommendation.