cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Gadsdon
Level III

ANOM JMP v's Wheeler

Hi I am trying to replicate an ANOM that Wheeler did in Understanding Industrial Experimentation p60 (details attached)

I have attached the data set, I get different control limits for some reason, I set the alpha level at 0.10

Can you advise

Gadsdon_0-1603465346856.png

Gadsdon_1-1603465422029.png

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
KarenC
Super User (Alumni)

Re: ANOM JMP v's Wheeler

The JMP help notes that JMP implements the methods from Nelson, et. al (2003).  link to JMP ANOM help 

The methodology in the Nelson book differs slightly from Wheeler's, for instance the measure of error differs. Therefore, the ANOM decision limits calculated in JMP will differ from those in the Wheeler book. You can find the Nelson ANOM book here (ANOM Book ).

For the equal case for means the decision limits are:

KarenC_0-1603511258333.png

View solution in original post

KarenC
Super User (Alumni)

Wheeler uses ranges, JMP/Nelson uses standard deviations. Generally they are going to give you "similar" results. The key is plot your data, understand your measurement systems, use ANOM decision lines to guide your decision making. Since you are using JMP use the ANOM charts in JMP.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
KarenC
Super User (Alumni)

The JMP help notes that JMP implements the methods from Nelson, et. al (2003).  link to JMP ANOM help 

The methodology in the Nelson book differs slightly from Wheeler's, for instance the measure of error differs. Therefore, the ANOM decision limits calculated in JMP will differ from those in the Wheeler book. You can find the Nelson ANOM book here (ANOM Book ).

For the equal case for means the decision limits are:

KarenC_0-1603511258333.png

Gadsdon
Level III

Thanks Karen, I asppreciate your response here

Gadsdon
Level III

Hi Karen, I just looked at the book, your one of the the authors. So which is the best method and why ;0) 

KarenC
Super User (Alumni)

Wheeler uses ranges, JMP/Nelson uses standard deviations. Generally they are going to give you "similar" results. The key is plot your data, understand your measurement systems, use ANOM decision lines to guide your decision making. Since you are using JMP use the ANOM charts in JMP.
Gadsdon
Level III

Thanks, that really helps understanding the difference.  I have dealt with SD and ranges with the control charts.  The Shewhart chart and the Levey–Jennings charts for calculating control limits, where the Levey–Jennings uses SD.  Its important to understand these differences.

Another important distinction between Shewhart charts and Levey-Jennings charts is that the former types rely on short-term variation that is internally estimated in Phase I. The latter type often uses externally determined long-term variation. A clinical laboratory scenario, from which they originated, is given the SD or control limit information by the manufacturer of the assay, which they base on a precision study that intentionally includes long-term variation.

Gadsdon
Level III

Hi Mark

I must admit I do struggle with  Levey-Jennings charts.  When the process chart is stable the control limits equate to Shewhart chart limits, but when the process is not in control (as mesured by the Shewhart chart) the control limits are more forgiving (wider).  Now I undertand that the Westguard Rules should then kick in, but very often people do not use these Rules, so the sensitivity of the Levey-Jennings chart is diminnished.  A Strong signal becomes a Weak signal.  The standard deviation component of the Levey-Jennings chart assumes the data is consistent, stable and attempts to fit these wider control limits to all the data.  

LeveyJen.jpg