cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
0 Kudos

add rows - add full documentation to Scripting Index

What inspired this wish list request? 

There is lacking documentation on how to use this feature.

What is the improvement you would like to see? 

I would like the full documentation of "add rows" to be added to Scripting Index.

This is the "add rows" function that is used in JMP JSL like: dt << add rows(1);

I would like to know how to add rows to the end of the data table.

Why is this idea important? 

All users need to have documentation of features to use JMP effectively.

2 Comments
bswedlove
Level III

I see now that there is documentation for Add Rows, but no example of each different way that Add Rows can be used.

Could you please add an example for add rows at start and at end?

bswedlove_1-1700609632733.png

jthi
Super User

I'm not sure if this is issue with lack of examples or with the sometimes confusing syntax used in different places of JMP documentation. The syntax 

obj << Add Rows( <n>, <At Start|At End|After(m)> | {list of (column name = value) pairs}) 

means that you have optional n (count), and you have optional list of position options OR key value pairs in a list (you cannot have both). I'm not sure if there is single document which explains this syntax (and if I remember correctly, it isn't consistent). Very small amount of explaining can be found from Scripting Guide Conventions (jmp.com) (there might have been also better help page, but I cannot find it). So to answer how to add rows to end of data table -> take example using After and replace the After(5) with At End.

Also using Help button from scripting index does help sometimes: Data Table Messages (jmp.com) -> Add Rows (jmp.com).

Comprehensive scripting index for wish list item, JMP Scripting Index feedback and discussion for older community post.