Update & Concatenate: source script collision

☐ cool new feature
☑ could help many users!

☑ removes a „bug“

☐ nice to have

☐ nobody needs it

#myTop10_2023a

What inspired this wish list request? 

Many of the Platforms in the Tables menu provide the option Save Script to Source Table.

Is is an elegant way to save the command with all the settings as a Table Script Platform_Name Script.

There is even an auto-increment function which prevents Jmp from overwriting previous Table Script with the same name.

But there are two exceptions: Update and Concatenate.

As all the other functions, Concatenate saves the command script as a Table Script (name: source) to the output table.

Exception: If the option Append to first table is enabled, the main table is the output table - and NO script is saved (perhaps to prevent Jmp from over-writing an existing source Table script?)

For Update the main table is always used as output table. This function saves a table script with the current settings (name: source) to the main table and thereby: overwrites any existing source table script (!).

Table / Update - source script collision 

What is the improvement you would like to see? 

Concatenate and Update should follow the naming scheme of the other Table platforms.

i.e. save a script with the current settings to a Table Script with name Concatenate Script or Update Script.

An auto-increment feature should be used to prevent Jmp from overwriting existing scripts.

Why is this idea important?

The auto-generation of JSL source code is a great feature.

But over-writing an existing source code is more ham than good .

Fixing the issue will save users from losing their table source script.

The naming convention separates source scripts (name: source;  was used to generate the data table) from Platform Scripts (name: Script; can be used to act on the current data table)

5 Comments
Status changed to: Acknowledged

Hi @hogi, thank you for taking the time to submit this idea! We will review your request and keep you updated on its status. 

hogi
Level XI

I asked Jmp Support if the current behavior *) can be treated as a bug: 00035426

*) Tables/Update and Tables/Concatenate overwrite source Scripts. No undo available.

the answer is: No

"For almost all data table manipulations, a Source script is written to the table.  If one is already there, it is overwritten.  This is how it has worked for many years.  It is not a bug, it is intentional behavior.  ..."

Am I the only Jmp user who uses Source Scripts? - the only one who lost a source script by a Tables/Update of the data table?

hogi
Level XI

but even if it is not interpreted as a bug ...
and if I am the ONLY Jmp user who enjoys the automatically generated source script ...

(alternative: I I am the only jmp user who uses Tables/Update AND Source scripts)

pleaaaase: fix it
With every destroyed source script: it hurts so much!

hogi
Level XI
hogi
Level XI
  • If a new table is generated and a table with the same name exists, a “ 2” is added – or the counter is increased by one.
  • If a new column is generated and a column with the same name exists, a “ 2” is added – or the counter is increased by one.
  • In JMP18 - if a new Update Script *) is generated and a script with the same name exists, a “ 2” is added – or the counter is increased by one.

• If a table is updated via concatenate or update, the existing Source script is overwritten with the auto-generated one.

*) Update Script after Excel import:
thanks for implementing this feature in Jmp18.