cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Set default decimal places to tables using Preferences

It would be nice to have the ability to set the number of decimal places of columns in tables. This could be done by adding options to the summary tables of each platform in the preferences menus. The good starting point would be the distribution summary statistics, which can be expanded to other platforms as well.

12 Comments
winfriedkoch0
Level IV

I would appreciate an option for the following standardized setting, proceeding from the number of decimals of the original data:

- mean, median +1 decimal,

- SD +2 decimals,

- SE +3 decimals

- Min, Max same as original

Oren_Bar-Ilan
Level III

Hello Winfried,

Thank you for your comment however I wouldn't recommend on any specific default other then the current ones since number of decimal points may depend on the scale of measurements. For example, if such scale is 10*E-3 then with your suggestion mean values, medians and SD would appear in the tables as zeros.

I agree though that users should have an option for setting such defaults.

Thank you,

Oren

winfriedkoch0
Level IV

To clarify:

My proposal was intended to proceed from the precision of the raw data. So if the scale of the individual data e.g. is 10*E-3 then the mean would be displaid with 4 decimals.

Of course I would agree if the user could set such options but this seems not be made available.

Oren_Bar-Ilan
Level III

A way to address this could be by adding a new column property like "Summary Statistics Format" that will enable to set a format for each summary statistic (borrowed from the summary stats of the distribution platform). Leaving some blank (no definition of precision for a particular statistic) would maintain the default precision. With that all outputs would adhere to specific number of decimal places in all outputs.

winfriedkoch0
Level IV

This is an excellent proposal from my perspective.

I hope that the JMP division will implement this or a similar idea.

I still spend a lot of time and clicks to present results with reasonable numbers of decimals.

Oren_Bar-Ilan
Level III

Thank you Winfried. I've submitted this as an official suggestion and request to the JMP support team.

SamGardner
Staff
Status changed to: Yes, Stay Tuned!

For JMP 17, we are developing a way to define flexible semantic formats for JMP reports.  

winfriedkoch0
Level IV

Thanks for this good news.

Please care that formats are maintained if the analysis is edited e.g. if a variable is removed from the model within the fit model procedure.

Also please consider if similar could be provided for axis settings.

Oren_Barilan
Level I

Hello Sam,

Any updates on this one in JMP 17? I haven't seen any. Thanks.

martindemel
Staff

Have you checked this: Semantic Formatting