Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

New Formula column/ Distributional: "Normalize"

☐cool new feature
☐ could help many users!

☐ removes a „bug“

☑ nice to have

☐ nobody needs it

Please add a function "normalize" to the right click/New Formula Column/Distributional menu which calculates robust values by

:myColumn_norm = :myColumn / Col Median(:myColumn)

HolgerSp_0-1662995776033.png

more wishes submitted by  hogi_2-1702196401638.png

7 Comments
Status changed to: Acknowledged

@hogi - Thank you for your suggestion! We have captured your request and will take it under consideration.

mia_stephens
Staff
Status changed to: New

Hi Holger, thank you for this request (and the many others). Having a robust normalization option might make sense, but we haven't seen other such requests. Have you considered creating an add-in for this and other functions that you frequently perform? 

hogi
Level XI

Hi @mia_stephens.

"sorry" for the many requests

You are right, for some of the topics (like the normalize) I already have a shortcut on my toolbar - I like the idea of "staying in the flow" as much as Steve does:
https://community.jmp.com/t5/Discovery-Summit-Americas-2022/Stay-in-the-Flow-With-Custom-Scripts-and...

So, why the "wishes"?
I am a bit surprised that nobody missed the "normalize" yet.
But I am sure that once it's there many people will use it.

It's like with the zipper.
For many thousands of years, nobody missed it. But if nowadays zippers were not available anymore - for sure: people would notice.

jthi
Super User

I have made following suggestion some time agoAdd normalization and robust statistical functions (and matrix functions) .

Also I would like to comment on the creation of add-in / other function. Big issue with those is distribution (and responsibility). There are many great add-ins even in JMP Community which in my opinion should be default features in JMP.

Status changed to: Acknowledged

hogi
Level XI

I implemented a very versatile normalization function in the QuickSelect Add-In.
https://community.jmp.com/t5/JMP-Add-Ins/QuickSelect-Toolbar/ta-p/566965

If you want to implement a normalization function in the official version, you could steal some ideas from there

hogi_0-1678043054567.png

hogi
Level XI

Normalize GUI was moved to a separate AddIn: Normalization GUI .

hogi_0-1694210075739.png