Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

New Formula column/ Distributional: "Normalize"

☐cool new feature
☐ could help many users!

☐ removes a „bug“

☑ nice to have

☐ nobody needs it

Please add a function "normalize" to the right click/New Formula Column/Distributional menu which calculates robust values by

:myColumn_norm = :myColumn / Col Median(:myColumn)

HolgerSp_0-1662995776033.png

more wishes submitted by  hogi_2-1702196401638.png

7 Comments
Status changed to: Acknowledged

@hogi - Thank you for your suggestion! We have captured your request and will take it under consideration.

mia_stephens
Staff
Status changed to: New

Hi Holger, thank you for this request (and the many others). Having a robust normalization option might make sense, but we haven't seen other such requests. Have you considered creating an add-in for this and other functions that you frequently perform? 

hogi
Level XI

Hi @mia_stephens.

"sorry" for the many requests

You are right, for some of the topics (like the normalize) I already have a shortcut on my toolbar - I like the idea of "staying in the flow" as much as Seve does:
https://community.jmp.com/t5/Discovery-Summit-Americas-2022/Stay-in-the-Flow-With-Custom-Scripts-and...

So, why the "wishes"?
I am a bit surprised that nobody missed the "normalize" yet.
But I am sure that once it's there many people will use it

jthi
Super User

I have made following suggestion some time agoAdd normalization and robust statistical functions (and matrix functions) .

Also I would like to comment on the creation of add-in / other function. Big issue with those is distribution (and responsibility). There are many great add-ins even in JMP Community which in my opinion should be default features in JMP.

Status changed to: Acknowledged

hogi
Level XI

I implemented a very versatile normalization function in the QuickSelect Add-In.
https://community.jmp.com/t5/JMP-Add-Ins/QuickSelect-Toolbar/ta-p/566965

If you want to implement a normalization function in the official version, you could steal some ideas from there

hogi_0-1678043054567.png

hogi
Level XI

Normalize GUI was moved to a separate AddIn: Normalization GUI .

hogi_0-1694210075739.png