cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Enable string concatenation in "New Formula Column" -> "Combine" for numerical columns

I have two columns of integers (along with a bunch of other columns), and would like to overlay in Graph Builder on the pairing of the two --

Since overlay only accepts a single variable, I typically do this by creating a new column with both columns comma-separated by using the "New Formula Column" -> "Character" -> "Concatenate with comma", but when both columns are numeric, concatenating with comma is no longer an option, requiring a custom formula with char() and "||".

Request adding a "Concatenate with comma" option to "New Formula Column" -> "Combine" menu.

7 Comments
jthi
Super User

Other wish list item related to this make NewFormulaColumn/Character more flexible 

hogi
Level XI

good to see that other people have similar "doors locked" ...

I generated my own Add-In Toolbar item to solve the issue.

another workaround: add an empty "character" column and cocatenate the tree of them.

(As soon as there is one character column included, concatenate is available.)

Status changed to: Acknowledged

Hi @BHarris, thank you for your suggestion! We have captured your request and will take it under consideration.

Status changed to: Duplicate

Hello @BHarris! I am going to mark this request as a duplicate. The request linked in the comments is also asking for the ability to concatenate numeric columns with a comma.  The duplicate request is currently being investigated for potential inclusion in a future release.  Let me know if you have any questions!

make NewFormulaColumn/Character more flexible

BHarris
Level VI

That other request is to allow columns to be concatenated with another character.  The request to enable numeric columns to be concatenated is a secondary request there.  But as long as the second-part of it doesn't get ignored/lost, that's fine with me.

hogi
Level XI

How about splitting the two topics?

- this wish here to enable string concatenation even if all variables are numbers 
--> prio

- https://community.jmp.com/t5/JMP-Wish-List/make-NewFormulaColumn-Character-more-flexible/m-p/543650#... - restricted to: add more flexibility
--> lower prio (as you already added many individual versions of concatenate with ... in the mean time;

so, kind of too late - if you don't want to remove the other versions and if the list should not get too long) 

Status changed to: Investigating

Thanks for all the discussion everyone! I have captured all aspects of this wish in our system, but I will reopen this wish so that people can vote on the topics separately if they wish. So, the items will be split as @hogi stated below. I hope that works for everyone!