cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP Wish List

We want to hear your ideas for improving JMP software.

1. Search: Please search for an existing idea first before submitting a new idea.
  2. Submit: Post your new idea using the Suggest an Idea button. Please submit one actionable idea per post rather than a single post with multiple ideas.
  3. Kudo & Comment Kudo ideas you like, and comment to add to an idea.
  4. Subscribe: Follow the status of ideas you like. Refer to status definitions to understand where an idea is in its lifecycle. (You are automatically subscribed to ideas you've submitted or commented on.)

We consider several factors when looking for what ideas to add to JMP. This includes what will have the greatest benefit to our customers based on scope, needs and current resources. Product ideas help us decide what features to work on next. Additionally, we often look to ideas for inspiration on how to add value to developments already in our pipeline or enhancements to new or existing features.

Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Enable string concatenation in "New Formula Column" -> "Combine" for numerical columns

I have two columns of integers (along with a bunch of other columns), and would like to overlay in Graph Builder on the pairing of the two --

Since overlay only accepts a single variable, I typically do this by creating a new column with both columns comma-separated by using the "New Formula Column" -> "Character" -> "Concatenate with comma", but when both columns are numeric, concatenating with comma is no longer an option, requiring a custom formula with char() and "||".

Request adding a "Concatenate with comma" option to "New Formula Column" -> "Combine" menu.

8 Comments
jthi
Super User

Other wish list item related to this make NewFormulaColumn/Character more flexible 

hogi
Level XI

good to see that other people have similar "doors locked" ...

I generated my own Add-In Toolbar item to solve the issue.

another workaround: add an empty "character" column and cocatenate the tree of them.

(As soon as there is one character column included, concatenate is available.)

Status changed to: Acknowledged

Hi @BHarris, thank you for your suggestion! We have captured your request and will take it under consideration.

Status changed to: Duplicate

Hello @BHarris! I am going to mark this request as a duplicate. The request linked in the comments is also asking for the ability to concatenate numeric columns with a comma.  The duplicate request is currently being investigated for potential inclusion in a future release.  Let me know if you have any questions!

make NewFormulaColumn/Character more flexible

BHarris
Level VI

That other request is to allow columns to be concatenated with another character.  The request to enable numeric columns to be concatenated is a secondary request there.  But as long as the second-part of it doesn't get ignored/lost, that's fine with me.

hogi
Level XI

How about splitting the two topics?

- this wish here to enable string concatenation even if all variables are numbers 
--> prio

- https://community.jmp.com/t5/JMP-Wish-List/make-NewFormulaColumn-Character-more-flexible/m-p/543650#... - restricted to: add more flexibility
--> lower prio (as you already added many individual versions of concatenate with ... in the mean time;

so, kind of too late - if you don't want to remove the other versions and if the list should not get too long) 

Status changed to: Investigating

Thanks for all the discussion everyone! I have captured all aspects of this wish in our system, but I will reopen this wish so that people can vote on the topics separately if they wish. So, the items will be split as @hogi stated below. I hope that works for everyone! 

hogi
Level XI

Hi @Sarah-Sylvestre ,

seems that splitting the wishes was not a good idea.

the "low-prio half" of the topic (concatenate with comma, underscore ...) is already delivered for a while:

hogi_0-1718016689439.png

but the top-prio part (same functionality for numeric columns) is still pending