cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
0 Kudos

DoE factors - copy and paste function for loading

What inspired this wish list request? 

DoE's with a large number of factors are laborious to load up in JMP right now since you have to type them out one by one - there is no easy (non-scripting) way to load them (the factors and their ranges) in otherwise

What is the improvement you would like to see? 

I would like to see functionality to be able to paste a list or table of factors and their min/max values into JMP. 

Why is this idea important? 

JMP has powerful model-fitting functionality but not having this functionality makes me more likely to choose alternative software which makes it easier and faster for the user to use. 

11 Comments
Victor_G
Super User

Hi @JMPinthePool,

Have your tried using a "Factors table" (and "Responses table") if you need to try and compare several designs based on the same factors/responses levels ?

When your first create a design by specifying each factor, go in the red triangle next to "Custom Design" and click on "Save Factors" : It will create a JMP Datatable that you can keep open or save somewhere.

If/when you want to create other designs based on the same factors and levels, you can (in the same red triangle menu during custom design creation) click on "Load Factors", specify the Factors datatable you have created earlier (or saved in a folder), and JMP will automatically load the factors, rangle/levels and type into the Custom Design platform :

Victor_G_0-1675345297940.png

This trick can surely help you,

JMPinthePool
Level III

But that means you still have to type them all out at least once - typically these are things that one would like to copy/paste from a different program to avoid such unnecessary labour!

Victor_G
Super User

Yes, you would have to type them all once, I don't see how you can't do it at least once ? Your idea may be perhaps more oriented towards integration with other competitor DoE softwares ?

I think softwares deal differently with DoE informations : JMP uses a lot of column properties to define the factor types, levels, factor change (easy, hard, very hard), ... and this is why you would have to define at least once your factors or use a properly set factors table (with properties set for each factors). But once done, it's very easy to re-use all the informations you have set, by saving Factors (or Response) tables, and loading them when needed.

You can also use the Table Attribute add-in to have easier exchange between Excel and JMP without losing information from these column properties (or other table properties in JMP) : Table Attributes Add-In - JMP User Community
This add-in enables to export Excel files from JMP files with metadata saved (like column properties), so when you re-import these excel files, your different tables properties are already present (no loss of information in transferts between JMP and Excel).

JMPinthePool
Level III

Hi @Victor_G

thanks for your continued dialogue - what I'm trying to articulate the need for is greater flexibility in the 'DoE design' window: 

JMPinthePool_0-1675428995527.png

currently there are no options here to re-order the factors, no options to load in a 'simple' list, unless already in the format that JMP requires (but then no guidance that is easy to find on what that format should be for new users?) - or am i wrong? 

Status changed to: Acknowledged

Hi @JMPinthePool, thank you for your suggestion! We have captured your request and will take it under consideration.

mia_stephens
Staff
Status changed to: Needs Info

Hi @JMPinthePool, if your factors and factor settings are stored in a data table, you can use Load Factors from the red triangle to populate the factor list. Does this address your request?

mia_stephens_1-1677535948096.png

JMPinthePool
Level III

hi @mia_stephens, not really. 

For example, in the DoE design window, which you show a screen shot of, currently there are no options here to re-order the factors, no options to insert a new one part way through the list (they always go the end/bottom), no option to load in a 'simple' list of factors and min/max values (eg, copy and paste from somewhere else). 

mia_stephens
Staff

Hi @JMPinthePool , thank you for the additional information. We are working on some changes to the factor list in the next release (JMP 18) that I believe will address these issues. For example, you'll be able to easily move factors, rename, change the number of levels and more.

JMPinthePool
Level III

Hi, @mia_stephens - that sounds great - i love how responsive JMP staff are to user input - thank you so much

One other feature that users might find useful, if possible, would be the ability to display the factors and levels list horizontally (as you might find them in a table), as well as the current vertical layout? 

best regards

mia_stephens
Staff

Thank you @JMPinthePool, we try : )

We'll add this additional information to the request. I don't believe that having a horizontal list of factors in the platform is in the current plans.