cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New to using JMP? Hit the ground running with the Early User Edition of Discovery Summit. Register now, free of charge.
Register for our Discovery Summit 2024 conference, Oct. 21-24, where you’ll learn, connect, and be inspired.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Sam_030
Level I

plotting data with same heading from two different data table without combining them.

Hello,

I am very new to JMP and I am looking for a way to make a X-Y plot from multiple data tables without combing them. For example, I have a data table “Men” with two variables “age” and “weight”, and I have another data table “Women” with the same variable names “age” and “weight”. I would like to make a simple X-Y plot: age vs weight, using the values from these two data tables, I don’t want to make a single data table by combining these two tables. This is just a simple example, in reality I work with several data tables with same variable names. For my work, data tables are constantly evolving, that way it becomes easier to update/add the values in the respective data table, as opposed to finding those values in the combined data table which probably has more than 1000 entries. I used to use a program called Aable (some might know), which has a feature “Database”. You cant put the as many data table as you want in the database, and make plot using all the table from the database. I am looking for such feature. Please let me know if my question is not clear, happy to provide the details. Thanks in advance!!

2 REPLIES 2
jthi
Super User

Re: plotting data with same heading from two different data table without combining them.

Depending on your data, you might be able to do this with Virtual join. If that isn't possible you will most likely have to combine the tables at some point to create the plot. Luckily, this can be very easily scripted (and JMP can mostly create this script for you)

-Jarmo
hogi
Level XI

Re: plotting data with same heading from two different data table without combining them.

make a X-Y plot from multiple data tables without combing them.
- this is one of a few Tiny Traps in Jmp and JSL .

The JMP way to generate the plot relies on combining the data before plotting, 

e.g. "stack" the tables via the Tables/Concatenate platform

There are some "workarounds" available, like a copy/paste of the frame contents:
https://community.jmp.com/t5/Discussions/How-to-Overlay-scatterplot-of-data-pairs-with-separate-axes...