cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
abmayfield
Level VI

pie graphs+heat maps

Hello everyone, 

As a marine biologist, I recently stumbled across a visual presentation of coral reef data that I really like (see attachment). In it, you will see various pie graphs in which the individual wedges are essentially heat maps to show relative levels of certain parameters. I would like to adapt this for my own research, and I THINK it cn be done with Graph Builder, though not as a heat map, per se. Here is my idea: say I want four pie wedges representing four response variables (A, B, C, and D). The size is unimportant, so I will give each a value of 0.25 so that they occupy equal areas. I realize I can overlay color, so I created a "color" column and assigned values for the four response variables, but then my graph didn't change accordingly. Screen Shot 2019-08-13 at 10.45.21 AM.pngI tried value coloring and labeling, but no luck. I feel like I just set up my table wrong! Any suggestions?? Thanks!

Anderson B. Mayfield
14 REPLIES 14
abmayfield
Level VI

Re: pie graphs+heat maps

John,
This is great! Do you think it could be done directly in Graph Builder or would it require scripting and advanced knowledge to do so? I know I can just modify the script but I’m just thinking in terms of streamlining it were I to go with this option over the pie graphs for tons and tons of data. Did it require a custom shape or did you manually pin all those icons in the map?
Anderson B. Mayfield

Anderson, 

Graph Builder doesn't provide a way to place bar charts or pie charts at specific locations on a map. You can get around it by:

1.  Creating a table from your Graph Builder graph where you use sample number in the map role (built using bars or the custom map shapes. This creates a table with sample number column and a column of images for each sample. 
  2.  Copy the image column from the generated table back to the unstacked data table( make sure that the image column matches the order of the sample number. **
  3. a. Label the image column OR b. Set 'Use as Marker' for the image column. 
  4. Using the unstacked data table, create a Contour Map in Graph Builder using salinity or temp column as the color Role.
  5. Add a points element.  Optionally using another color role.
  6. If you follow step 3.a, the images will appear in hover labels. You can pin some hover labels and Replace Text to remove any unwanted hover label text. 
  7. if you follow step 3 b, all markers will be shown with the image from the image column. This can cause a cluttered display which you can resolve by zooming in or by deleting images that are overlapping. 

** I found they were not in the same order, and had to sort before copying the image column. In hindsight, I realized I could have used a join or virtual join to get the images on the correct rows. I wish I would have read this first: https://community.jmp.com/t5/JSL-Cookbook/Geographic-Maps-with-Graphs-as-Markers/ta-p/53782.

I published both 3.a and 3.b here:

https://public.jmp.com/packages/Heat-contour-with-image-annotations/js-p/5d64597acf28b80f980812ba

pies on heat map.PNG

About the method I used to draw the bars. I didn't use custom maps, I used the custom graphics script to calculate the length of the bars and to position them above each point. 

When it comes to streamlining, JSL is often the best choice.

~John

This discussion inspired me to create a paper and presentation for JMP Discovery Americas 2020.  What do you get when you combine a Marine Biologist, a Video Game, and JMP? (2020-US-45MP-543) 

As I prepared the paper, I had time to experiment and improve on the techniques described in this post.  

Included with the paper, are some resources (custom maps and examples) and detailed instructions on how to use them. 

I hope you will find this post and my paper useful.

Thanks, 

~John

abmayfield
Level VI

John, 

This is great, and I fully intend to watch the talk your week (it is on my schedule.). I think this capacity, along with the "graphlets," will open up all kinds of doors for overlaying data onto Graphbuilder graphs and plotting data onto custom figures (like the human body example we talked about earlier that is found somewhere on the JMP website in the form of a tutorial, I believe). I'll be curious to see if anyone has any suggestions in terms of aesthetics. I personally like the pie graphs, but maybe there is a better way we are not even considering? I like your idea of the video game style "health bars," too.

Come to think of it, maybe this could benefit epidemiologists. For instance, if you had infection rates overlaid on a lat-lon grid, then pinned wedges/pie graphs with additional information about patients or groups of patients on the contour plot, you could potentially add a layer of complexity that may not be possible using the standard GraphBuilder features (I guess for most types of data, the graphlets would work for this, too, though). 

Anderson B. Mayfield