cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
ron_horne
Super User (Alumni)

making a graph of a sequence

Hi all,

I have a data table that presents a sequence over time and records only when there is a change (un equal time intervals).

I would like to produce a graph with time on the horizontal axis and parallel horizontal lines representing the three categorical variables (place, condition and condition 2).

The colors along the lines will represent the different categories of place and conditions.

I manage to produce a somewhat fake presentation by setting start time as X and end time as Y, connecting with a line, coloring by category and compressing the Y axis so the line looks horizontal.

attached is the data table with two scripts to run.

I would be very thankful for any suggestions,

Thanks,

Ron

11685_Untitled1.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ian_jmp
Staff

Re: making a graph of a sequence

FWIW, I wrote the attached script, which generates this kind of plot (basically a 'Cell Plot' with a proportionate time axis):

11723_Screen Shot 2016-05-27 at 16.08.25.png

No doubt it could be much improved, but it's a start if anyone has the inclination to do more. I've also attached a modified version of the data from ron_horne​.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
txnelson
Super User

Ron,

There is a Gantt Chart addin in the JMP File Exchange, that you may want to look at.  It uses a method to produce a chart of sequences.

Gantt Chart Add-In

Jim
ron_horne
Super User (Alumni)

thanks txnelson​,

I know about that add in, just couldn't get it to do what i want. in terms of that platform my "tasks" start and end multiple times. for example, The location "task" switches from "in" to "out" many times and i didn't get the platform to represent that. Did i miss anything?

using the example given with the add in, i would like to have all the tasks in one bar with different segments of time indicating the different tasks. in my case there is no overlap in time between "in" and "out"

ron

Hi Ron,

See the image below and let me know if this is more like what you are looking for or not.

11687_pastedImage_0.png

Best,

Bill

ron_horne
Super User (Alumni)

hi bill,

this is quite close since it allows "Format" categories to start and end multiple times. do you think it is possible to show in one bar various starting and ending points of the same category?

ron

ian_jmp
Staff

(Just want to check my understanding of what you are looking for . . . ).

You have three 'processes' (say p1, p2 and p3), each one of which can exist in several states (n1, n2 and n3 respectively). Each state is to be represented as a colour. You add a new row to the table when any one of the variables changes its state, and record the time at which that happens. You then want a (horizontal)  timeline for each process showing changes in state.

Is that correct, please? If so, that doesn't sound too hard with a graphics script using a series of filled rectangles.

ron_horne
Super User (Alumni)

yes Ian@JMP

i think you got it right.

i was trying to produce this graphe using bars and ranges but without successes so far.

thanks,

ron

ian_jmp
Staff

FWIW, I wrote the attached script, which generates this kind of plot (basically a 'Cell Plot' with a proportionate time axis):

11723_Screen Shot 2016-05-27 at 16.08.25.png

No doubt it could be much improved, but it's a start if anyone has the inclination to do more. I've also attached a modified version of the data from ron_horne​.

ron_horne
Super User (Alumni)

thank you Ian@JMP​,

this is an outstanding contribution and just what i need.

ron

Ron,

I was playing around with my data set and I cannot come up with a way to make your graph.  Do you have a sample data set you can share?

Bill