cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
jasongao
Level II

how to plot an overlay variability chart

I am a new one for JMP :-)

For example, I have 4 columns

Name Gender Score1 Score2:

Jason  M 98 87

Alice F 67 78

Emma F 89 79

John M 70 89

Jennifer 76 65

I would like to generate a varibility chart (although the example only has 1 data for each people). I want to plot 2 curves (in different color for example) in 1 figure grouped by Gender, and connect the data with a line for each group. The x axis names need to be the listing order, like this 

Capture2.PNG

Thanks a lot! 

16 REPLIES 16
jasongao
Level II

Re: how to plot an overlay variability chart

Thanks Jim, but could you please show where is the Page area? 

txnelson
Super User

Assuming you are running JMP version 12 or later, here is where the Page drop area is

page.PNG

Jim
jasongao
Level II

hmm... I am usning JMP11, and doesn't have this area :-( 

any suggestion? 

txnelson
Super User

You can run the Graph Builder platform twice and within each run, add a Local Data Filter, and only select Class 1 for the first instance of Graph Builder, and selec Class 2 for the second instance.  Here is an example using the Big Class Sample data table, and using the variable Age instead of the variable Class.localfilter.PNG

Jim
jasongao
Level II

Thanks! I updated the JMP to 12 from company software center so I can use Page now. However, it only allow me to drag 1 column into the page area. If I have 3 varaibles for group, how to generate 2x2x2=8 seperate plots? 

txnelson
Super User

You can create a new virtual column by right clicking on one of the variables in the column names in the Columns area, you can select Formula to create a new column in which you can concatenate the 3 column's values into one column, and then use that column to drag into the Page drop area

customtransfer.PNG

Jim
jasongao
Level II

Thanks a lot! It works!