cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
HannesJ
Level I

get values linked to axis labels

Hello, I have a control chart that has 3 different label rows on the X-axis. Is there a way in JSL to get the values that are associated with these labels? For example, for label row 2 I want to get the value that is corresponding with label "30", which is "5.5" in this case.

HannesJ_1-1715096899731.png

thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: get values linked to axis labels

Here is one method that should work.

Assumptions

1. You want to use all of the data to calculation the Control Limits
  2. You want to display only the last n number of data points on the control chart and that the rows who's values are to be displayed can be selected in the data table

The steps would be

1. Run the Control Chart on all  data.
    1. Run it in invisible mode
    2. Save the control limits to a new data table
  2. Close the report window
  3. Subset the original data table leaving only the data you want to be displayed
  4. Read into JMP memory variables, the control limits saved in the previous step
  5. Run the Control Chart on the Subsetted data
    1. Use the Add Limits message to the control chart code to set the control chart limits

The displayed control chart will have an axis limited to the data found in the subsetted table.

Jim

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
jthi
Super User

I think the situation is still the same as here JSL Get 'Axis Label Row' Value of Labels -> there is no easy way of getting those. You can calculate them but depending on what you are doing it can be very easy/complicated.

-Jarmo
HannesJ
Level I

That's unfortunate. The reason that I would like to get these values through JSL is because I want to add some code to the script that generates the control chart to have automatic updates of the X-axis. The control chart is a dynamic chart that gets populated with data on a daily basis and I would like the X-axis to automatically move forward as more data is being added, whilst keeping the same X-axis width (hence it would always show the most recent data for let's say the past 20 weeks). Are there any ideas how to do this? For now I only could come up with these values that I could use as variables.

jthi
Super User

Which platform are you using for control charts (Control Chart Builder or Graph Builder)? Do you have more than one row of labels in your x-axis (in your screenshot you seem to have three label rows) and if you do, do all of them always have the same amount of labels?

-Jarmo
HannesJ
Level I

I am using the control chart builder platform and indeed have 3 label rows on the x-axis, but they don't have the same amount of labels.

txnelson
Super User

Here is one method that should work.

Assumptions

1. You want to use all of the data to calculation the Control Limits
  2. You want to display only the last n number of data points on the control chart and that the rows who's values are to be displayed can be selected in the data table

The steps would be

1. Run the Control Chart on all  data.
    1. Run it in invisible mode
    2. Save the control limits to a new data table
  2. Close the report window
  3. Subset the original data table leaving only the data you want to be displayed
  4. Read into JMP memory variables, the control limits saved in the previous step
  5. Run the Control Chart on the Subsetted data
    1. Use the Add Limits message to the control chart code to set the control chart limits

The displayed control chart will have an axis limited to the data found in the subsetted table.

Jim
HannesJ
Level I

Hi Jim, great tip.

I was able to set up a script that achieves what I wanted using a subset of the data as you suggested.

Thanks a lot!

Hannes