Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
stevend1219
Level II

fit y by x question: show equation on chart

Hi all JMP experts,

The equation along with R^2 are shown below in summary and it takes twice copy/paste to copy both the chart & summary to my slide.

So Is it possible to show the fitting equation & R-square on chart? The feature is feasible in Excel.

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
txnelson
Super User

Re: fit y by x question: show equation on chart

There are a couple of ways to handle this.  With Fit Y by X, a little script can be added that can add the desired stats onto the graph.  Secondly, the Graph Builder has the feature you are looking for as a build in capability.

Jim
stevend1219
Level II

Hi Jim, Thanks for the feedback! Could you give me a hint how the script looks like? Usually I start scripting by the template of functionality in GUI -> save to script, but not for this one because I couldn't find it in GUI. Thank you!

txnelson
Super User

Here is a simple example. 

txnelson_1-1670294081868.png

I developed it interactively by using the  Customize Graph designer dialog box available by right clicking on the graph and selecting "Customize".

txnelson_0-1670293863962.png

Once I developed the code, using the Text Template, I then had JMP generate the complete JSL, see below.

Names Default To Here( 1 );
dt = Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA/big class.jmp" );

Bivariate(
	Y( :height ),
	X( :weight ),
	Fit Line( {Line Color( {212, 73, 88} )} ),
	SendToReport(
		Dispatch(
			{},
			"Bivar Plot",
			FrameBox,
			{Add Graphics Script(
				Description( "" ),
				Text(
					Center Justified,
					{75, 67},
					"R2 = " || Char( Round( (Current Report()[Number Col Box( 1 )] << get)[1], 5 ) )
				)
			)}
		)
	)
);
Jim
pmroz
Super User

Here's an example with Graph Builder:

pmroz_0-1670353546011.png

Note that I left the control panel open so you could see the options to display the line of fit.

Here's the code:

Graph Builder(
	Size( 909, 580 ),
	Variables( X( :weight ), Y( :height ) ),
	Elements(
		Points( X, Y, Legend( 5 ) ),
		Line Of Fit(
			X,
			Y,
			Legend( 7 ),
			Confidence of Prediction( 1 ),
			Root Mean Square Error( 1 ),
			R²( 1 ),
			Equation( 1 ),
			F Test( 1 )
		)
	)
);
stevend1219
Level II

Hi Jim, Thanks, it works, but encounter another problem: I'd like to use variables in the "{75, 67}," i.e. the position but seems the variables cannot be passed into the function. I need to use variable instead of fixed value because the text position should depend on x/y scale, which differs chart by chart.

Something like this: the my_pos_lst seems cannot be successfully fed into the function. Do you have any idea? Thanks!!

my_pos_lst = {100, 100};

Bivariate(
	///...
			{Add Graphics Script(
				Description( "" ),
				Text(
					Center Justified,
					my_pos_lst,
					"R2 = " || Char( Round( (Current Report()[Number Col Box( 1 )] << get)[1], 5 ) )
				)
			)}
		)
	)
);

stevend1219
Level II

oh BTW, I've used evallist(my_pos_lst) whether outside or inside Bivariate function, but it still doesn't work.

txnelson
Super User

It works for me

txnelson_0-1671036794573.png

It just isn't in the default range for the chart, so I had to scroll up to 100 on the Y axis to see it

Jim