Share your ideas for the JMP Scripting Unsession at Discovery Summit by September 17th. We hope to see you there!
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Highlighted
wjalford
Level III

dt5 << Select where (:LOGIN_DATE >= informat(startDT2,"mm/dd/yyyy")); does not work

I have other scripts where I am using a calendar date box to get a date range to select rows from a table where >= the date range and it works.  I have one script where it will not work.

I am storing the date in a varaible startDT2.  The format matches what is in the table after I split the table.  Below is the code.

TempstartDT = start << get; // This gets the date from the Calendar/Date Box.
CharDate3= Uppercase(Format(TempstartDT, "mm/dd/yyyy"));
startDT2 = CharDate3;
dt5 << Select where (:LOGIN_DATE >= informat(startDT2,"mm/dd/yyyy"));

When I run the code in debugger I can see that startDT2 is 01/29/2019 when I select that date.  The data has rows where the LOGIN_DATe colulumn has 01/29/2019.  It ends up ignoring the select where and bringing in all of the data.

Does anyone know why the Select Where is not working?

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted

Re: dt5 << Select where (:LOGIN_DATE >= informat(startDT2,"mm/dd/yyyy")); does n

The calendar date box captures a numeric value that represents the number of seconds since midnight, January 1, 1904.

The comparisn you want to make should not use a character string as produced by the formatting functions.

Learn it once, use it forever!
Highlighted
pmroz
Super User

Re: dt5 << Select where (:LOGIN_DATE >= informat(startDT2,"mm/dd/yyyy")); does n

What's the format of the LOGIN_DATE column?  If it's numeric (i.e. date) then you don't need to convert to character and then back to numeric date.

dt5 << Select where( :LOGIN_DATE >= tempstartdt);

Highlighted
wjalford
Level III

TempstartDT is in seconds. The CharDate3 converts it to mm/dd/yyyy. The column LOGIN_DATE is numeric with the format of m/d/y. The above suggestion does not work.
Highlighted
pmroz
Super User

All dates are in seconds, but you can choose how you want them displayed (i.e. m/d/y).  Can you post a small sample of your data?

Highlighted
wjalford
Level III

PRODUCT_CODE      LOT_NUMBER   LOGIN_DATE       VALUE_1

11111                       12345-01    12/19/2018     0.0028 

See attached file.

Highlighted
pmroz
Super User

This code works.  I entered a date prior to 12/19/2018 and both rows were highlighted.

dt5 = New Table( "Test", Add Rows( 2 ),
	New Column( "PRODUCT_CODE", Character( 6 ), "Nominal",
		Set Values( {"11111", "222"} ), Set Display Width( 103 )
	),
	New Column( "LOT_NUMBER", Character, "Nominal",
		Set Values( {"11111-01", "222-01"} ), Set Display Width( 88 )
	),
	New Column( "LOGIN_DATE", Numeric, "Continuous",
		Format( "m/d/y", 12 ), Input Format( "m/d/y" ),
		Set Values( [3628022400, 3631564800] ),
		Set Display Width( 82 )
	),
	New Column( "Value", Numeric, "Nominal", Format( "Best", 12 ),
		Set Values( [0.0028, 0.001] ), Set Display Width( 91 )
	)
);
nw = new window("test", modal(),
	start = number edit box(),
	start << Set Format( Format( "m/d/y", 12 ) );
);
dt5 << Select where( :LOGIN_DATE >= tempstartdt);

Maybe put some show() statements into your code to see what it's doing?

Highlighted
wjalford
Level III

Thank you for your help.  I ended up needing to subset the data first then the select where worked.

Highlighted

What does Informat() return?

Learn it once, use it forever!
Article Labels

There are no labels assigned to this post.