Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

distribution charts

johns

Community Member

Feb 8, 2012

The non-specific issue.

I would like to display a vertical histogram with 28 different levels.  The problem is that not all 28 levels may be represented in the actual data set.  But I still want the histogram to show me ALL 28 levels.  I've modified the data sheet info using value ordering/list check/ you name it (basically all of them.)  I cannot get the vacant levels to show up on the histogram.  So my question: Is it possible to do this? 

Specific application.

I work for a spine company that specializes in treating scoliosis.  There are 28 locations in which the surgeon can place the implants.  We have a very large clinical database with all of this information in it.  I have discovered that the vertical histogram provides a great graphical representation of how and where they treat these patients. I can place the skull at the top of the histogram and the pelvis at the bottom.  I can overlay adverse events, neurological data, original diagnosis, etc with only a few mouse clicks. But because certain levels are missing, you have to stare at the histogram and interpret exactly where you are 'in the spine'.  If i can just plot all 28 levels, everything becomes obvious.  

Thanks

John S

1 REPLY
XanGregg

Staff

Jun 23, 2011

One technique is to make sure all 28 levels are in the data set by adding dummy rows and use a frequency variable to give the dummy rows a frequency of 0 and all other rows a frequency of 1.