Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Highlighted
gx
gx
Level I

datatype of the JMP sample data: Rats

Hello, there,

I am studying the JMP sample data Rats, but get confused by the datatype of the column "Censor". It has values of "Failed" or "Censored"; however, the datatype is still numeric. How could it be?

I created a similar data in Excel. I opened it in JMP and tried to change the column of "censor" into the numeric, but never succeeded.

Could anyone help me out?

Thanks.

C.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Craige_Hales
Staff (Retired)

Re: datatype of the JMP sample data: Rats

Click the * and pick the Value Labels choice to see the column property that labels the numeric values.

Value LabelsValue Labels

Craige
Highlighted
gx
gx
Level I

Thank you very much for your reply. I did notice that. I guess that moves to my next question regarding my own data. I have data in excel and open with JMP

gx_1-1584549235170.png

Here the censor column has values of "failed" or "Censored" and datatype of "Character". I then tried to modify data following the sample data as shown below:

gx_3-1584549623898.png

I clicked "Apply" and all the censor column changed to "." like below:

gx_4-1584549799453.png

Did I do something wrong?

Thanks a lot..

C.

Highlighted
Craige_Hales
Staff (Retired)

Not sure what the preferred way is @markbailey but try this: select the character-data column, then cols->recode and map character values to values that can be converted to numbers, 0 and 1 probably. You can either make a new column or change the settings to do it in place. After that is finished, then convert the character column to numeric.

Craige
Highlighted
gx
gx
Level I

Thank you very much. Yes, this works.

Well, I still wonder how the sample data were created. Hope to figure that out someday...

C.

Article Labels

There are no labels assigned to this post.