cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Aam_jmp
Level IV

Working with matching values from lists to tables

I have two lists extracted from a data set, one list contains column names and another, certain values extracted (one value from each column) based on certain conditions.

List1 = {Wweight, O2 Uptake.......};

List2 = {38,59.08.....};
After this step, the user gets a JMP table like the one below as an output with options whether to remove the value extracted by the script or not:

Capture.PNG

The user either removes the value from the main table or decides to keep it.
What I am further trying to do is:
1) I run a script to find minimum values, and if the value matches the value against that column (which means that the user decided to keep the value) I want to get the next minimum value
2) If not, I extract the minimum value as is.

dt = current data table();

colNamesList = dt << get column names( string, numeric, continuous );
nc = N Items( colNamesList );

Names = {};
MinVals = {};
MinValList = {};

For( i = 1, i <= nc, i++,
	Cols = Column( dt, i );

Insert into(Names, colNamesList[i]);
	MinValue = Col Min( Cols );
	Insert into(MinVals, MinValue);
	MinRows = dt << get rows where( As Column( Cols ) == MinValue );
	Insert into(MinValList, MinRows[1]);
	);

dt1 = new table( "Data", 
	New Column( "Column Name", character, nominal, values(Names)),
	New column( "Min value", numeric, nominal, values( MinVals)),
	New Column( "Row Number", expression, nominal, values( MinValList ));

);

How can I match the values to check for each row whether the user has removed the value or not? 

//Second Part

Cols = Column( dt, i );
	colMin = Col Min( Cols );
	//If value in Col min is equal to value in MinValue, then skip that value and choose the next minimum value, else add that value to a new list
4 REPLIES 4
cwillden
Super User (Alumni)

Re: Working with matching values from lists to tables

You could do something like this:

Cols = Column( dt, i );
	colMin = Col Min( Cols );
	//If value in Col min is equal to value in MinValue, 
	//then skip that value and choose the next minimum value, else add that value to a new list

//get the corresponding row in the table (if it doesn't align with the index of your loop)
	row_tmp = dt1 << Get Rows Where(:Column Name == Cols); 
	if(Min value[row_tmp] == colMin,
		//Insert Code to look for next smallest value
	)
)

row_tmp gets the row in dt1 where the value of Column Name matches the current column name in Cols.

-- Cameron Willden
Aam_jmp
Level IV

@cwillden

Capture.PNG

I get this output for row_tmp

cwillden
Super User (Alumni)

I probably should have included a "[1]" on the end of that definition for row_temp. Sorry, I'm shooting from the hip a bit here without actually running this through JMP with an example data table.  Make sure to wrap the whole thing in parentheses before adding the [1].

(row_tmp <span class="token operator">=</span> dt1 <span class="token operator"><</span><span class="token operator"><</span><span class="token messages"> Get Rows Where</span><span class="token punctuation">(</span><span class="token punctuation">:</span>Column Name <span class="token operator">==</span> Cols<span class="token punctuation">))[1]</span><span class="token punctuation">;</span> 

You probably are also comparing to a name object rather than a string.  To get the column name as a string, try this:

Cols = Column(dt, 1) << Get Name;

I think with both of those changes, it should work.

-- Cameron Willden
Aam_jmp
Level IV

@cwillden I'm sorry, it still doesn't work for me. I just want to check if Min Values are still present in the columns of Linnerud table. But I am unable to make that script to work.