cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
vistacc
Level III

Why this bug happens occasionally? (Send Expects Scriptable Object)

Hi all,

I am writing a UI and I include a section for the user to select output directory to save the generated data files. Following is the script:

// press the select button
selectDirectoryButtonPress = Function( {this},
	outputLocation = Pick Directory( "Select output location." );
	outputDir << setText( outputLocation );
);
// press the clear button
ClearDirectoryButtonPress = Function( {this},
	outputDir << setText( "" );
);

However, the button sometimes works fine but sometimes raise a bug saying

Send Expects Scriptable Object{30} in access or evaluation of 'Send' , outputDir <<  /*###*/setText( outputLocation ) /*###*/.

test.png

Especially after the user has already select a directory path, pressing either button will have the send bug. I don't understand why this happen... I also have a section that ask the user to provide input file and that works fine every time. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Craige_Hales
Super User

Re: Why this bug happens occasionally? (Send Expects Scriptable Object)

Glad you got the answer. The message Send Expects Scriptable Object means the << (send operator) is trying to send a message (like settext) to outputDir, but outputDir is not holding an object that accepts messages (a Scriptable Object). JSL has a show function that can be helpful for these problems; show(outputDir) just before the send will tell you what outputDir is holding.

I'll pass this on to someone that might be able to make the message more clear; it happens a lot.

Craige

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
vistacc
Level III

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
vistacc
Level III

Never mind! I have figured out the problem is that I give the two variables(the text box as "outputDir" and the variable that save the content in the text box as "outputdir") the same name (only case different). I forgot JMP is not case sensitive. I don't know how to delete the post. If any admin see this post, please delete it. Thank you!
Craige_Hales
Super User

Glad you got the answer. The message Send Expects Scriptable Object means the << (send operator) is trying to send a message (like settext) to outputDir, but outputDir is not holding an object that accepts messages (a Scriptable Object). JSL has a show function that can be helpful for these problems; show(outputDir) just before the send will tell you what outputDir is holding.

I'll pass this on to someone that might be able to make the message more clear; it happens a lot.

Craige
vistacc
Level III

Thank you for your advice! Using show() to check is a good idea!