Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Web Browser Box goes off the page?

msharp

Super User

Jul 28, 2015

Anyone else run into this issue?  My web browser boxes keep going off the page.  This looks unprofessional and can become a bigger problem when the web browser box interferes with the window scroll boxes. 

Example Code:

NW = New Window("Web Browser Issue", wbb = web browser box("http:\www.jmp.com") );

wbb << Set Size(450,450);

NW << Set Window Size(482,515);

Example Picture:

10681_pastedImage_0.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

Hello, JMP developer here,

Unfortunately, this is a confirmed limitation of the component JMP uses to show web content. We use a web browser control from Microsoft which internally uses an embedded Internet Explorer ActiveX control. That control does not work well with the other display technologies JMP uses and the result is that the IE control 'sits on top of' all the other inner window content (including the Window's scrollbars) and can sometimes obscure it.

We have repeatedly asked Microsoft for help on this issue and to date none has arrived. As soon as there is a fix I will change the JMP code to use it. This in tracked in our internal bug database as bug S1197544.

I apologize for the undesirable side-effect which results in the browser box overlapping other window content. At this point I do not have a work around to offer.

John

ps. Here is a link to some truly gory details if you really need a more technical explanation. The underlying bug is considered an 'airspace' issue. Again, I apologize.

9 REPLIES
txnelson

Super User

Jun 22, 2012

I am not quite sure what the issue you are describing is.  When the window size specified is smaller than the webpage minimum requirements, you get a clipped web page displayed.  However, if you set the size of the browser box, and turn auto stretching on, the window can be expanded by the user.

NW = New Window("Web Browser Issue", wbb = web browser box() );

wbb<<set auto stretching(1,1);

NW<<set auto stretching(1,1);

wbb << Set Size(900,900);

nw << set window size(450,450);

wbb << navigate("http:\\www.jmp.com");

Jim
msharp

Super User

Jul 28, 2015

Ugh, I knew someone would recommend auto-stretching after I posted this, I should have been more clear in my post.  Sorry, but no it's not wanted.  I don't want the web browser box to change size, I only want the window to change size.

I want the web browser box to stay within the contents of the JMP window.  It should also be noted I see the same issue even when I run auto-stretching.

When you say you don't understand what I'm saying when I even supply an image of the issue, is very concerning.  I have added a gif to hopefully better illustrate the issue.

10689_webbrowserboxError.gif

txnelson

Super User

Jun 22, 2012

Thank you for clarifying.

In my system, JMP 12.1.0 on Windows 10, 64bit, running the Edge browser, the below code works.

NW = New Window("Web Browser Issue", wbb = web browser box() );

wbb<<set auto stretching(0,0);

NW<<set auto stretching(1,1);

wbb << navigate("http:\www.jmp.com");

wait(2);

nw << set window size(900,900);

10690_pastedImage_0.png

There is an issue with the HTML parser:

10691_pastedImage_1.png

But if one indicates to continue running the script, I get the above display.

Jim
msharp

Super User

Jul 28, 2015

I really don't think you understand the problem.  How does your code fix the issue?  Can you tell me what you think the issue is?  (Note: I have the same set up and nothing about your code does anything to fix the issue)

I'm sorry, but you aren't helpful, and I don't want someone who could help decide not to post assuming either A) you've solved the problem or B) it's simply an issue in difference between computer set up.

My feeling is this is an inherent issue with JMP.  There's not another display box that does this.

msharp

Super User

Jul 28, 2015

To better understand the issue, Please try to INTERACT with this display ie. try to make a search in all 25 google webpages.  (noting that 5 will be closer to 50 in implementation):

NW = New Window("Web Browser Issue", vlb = vlistbox() );

for(i=1, i<=5, i++,

vlb << append(hlb = hlistbox());

for(j=1, j<=5, j++,

wbb = web browser box("http:\\www.google.com");

hlb << Append(wbb)

)

);

txnelson

Super User

Jun 22, 2012

Here is the output that I get from your script.  The JMP window expands to the maximum size of my monitor, with the browser boxes defined within:

10693_pastedImage_1.png

I then added

nw<<set window size(500,500)); to the bottom of the script and reran it and got:

10694_pastedImage_2.png

Without the "set window size" for the New Window, the display expands to the extent of my monitor.  With the "set window size" the display window is brought down to exactly what the size specified is.  Isn't this your expected behavior?  If it isn't, can you show me what you expect the output to look like?

Jim
msharp

Super User

Jul 28, 2015

What txnelson and I get: (Notice how it goes off the page and covers the scroll boxes and footer bar)

10695_WBB1.png

What we should get (with window scroll boxes and JMP footer bar):

10696_WBB2.png

Solution

Hello, JMP developer here,

Unfortunately, this is a confirmed limitation of the component JMP uses to show web content. We use a web browser control from Microsoft which internally uses an embedded Internet Explorer ActiveX control. That control does not work well with the other display technologies JMP uses and the result is that the IE control 'sits on top of' all the other inner window content (including the Window's scrollbars) and can sometimes obscure it.

We have repeatedly asked Microsoft for help on this issue and to date none has arrived. As soon as there is a fix I will change the JMP code to use it. This in tracked in our internal bug database as bug S1197544.

I apologize for the undesirable side-effect which results in the browser box overlapping other window content. At this point I do not have a work around to offer.

John

ps. Here is a link to some truly gory details if you really need a more technical explanation. The underlying bug is considered an 'airspace' issue. Again, I apologize.

msharp

Super User

Jul 28, 2015

Would it be possible as a work around to add additional functionality to allow scrolling when the scroll bars aren't visble?  Say, ctrl+scroll forces the jmp window to scroll horizontally? Thus, even if I can't see the scroll bar it's still possible to move left/right in the window?