cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Vertical scrolling keeps going after I release the mouse

(JMP 13.2.1 64-bit on Windows 10 Home)

Hi,

Since the release of the update prior to my current version, the vertical scrolling behavior when moving up and down a data table has become very strange. I have never seen this in any other application. If I click and drag the scrollbar slider with the mouse and let go, scrolling *sometimes* continues. It starts fast at first and then slows down. I don't know what I am doing to make this happen and I haven't found a way to stop it once it has started. I just have to wait for it to stop. In a table with 500,000+ rows it is very annoying (I've had to wait up to 5 seconds).

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks,

John.

12 REPLIES 12
DaveG
Level I

Re: Vertical scrolling keeps going after I release the mouse

(JMP 12.1.0 64-bit on Windows 10 Enterprise)

Hello John,

I also have this problem. It started when "upgrading" to Windows 10 recently. It is an artifact of the "smooth scrolling" feature in Win10 trying to make everything look like a tablet and not a PC. I managed to disable this in Windows, however it only applied to Windows applications. I still have this problem in JMP, and yes it is annoying for large data sets.

If you managed to solve this please post your solution as I also deal in large data sets.

Thanks,
Dave

Hi Dave,
It hasn't happened for a while. I have had Windows 10 Fall Creators update forced upon me so maybe it's related. It may just be coincidence, but when my 2-in-1 is in laptop mode, I can't use the hotkeys to rotate the screen anymore.
No doubt, the next time I use JMP the problem will return...
John.
LeeR
Level II

I have the same issue.  It's very frustrating on large spreadsheets, they will scroll for many seconds after the mouse is released.  Would Appreciate a fix.

cwillden
Super User (Alumni)

Same. Many JMP users at my organization have been frustrated by this.  Definitely seems related to Windows 10.

-- Cameron Willden
ts2
ts2
Level III

Has anyone come up with a solution for this? I am stuck on JMP 12.2 and WIN 10. 

I have tried running JMP in Win7 compatibility mode and that seems to make things a little better. Same with changing my mouse polling from 1000hz to 125hz (logitech Gaming mouse - not sure how to do this with a standard mouse).

I have noticed 100% CPU usage when scrolling - so I tried changing process priority, CPU affinity and no change.

But still the lagging persists and JMP is very difficult to use. 

LeeR
Level II

This is a band-aid, not a fix.  I have found that if I [alt-tab] to a different application or window while .jmp is 'locked' in a scrolling mode, when I [alt-tab] back to the same window, the scrolling has stopped.  This saves seconds on long spreadsheets, but does not fix the issue overall.

jschroedl
Staff

Lee,

We've tried to investigate this in the past but have never managed to recreate the problem on a development PC to be able to determine what's going wrong. Perhaps it's the version of Windows as others have noted or perhaps there's something unusual about your setup (mouse, trackpad, etc.)

Can you tell me which version(s) of JMP you're seeing this on and maybe a bit about your pointer devices? Maybe it'll provide the missing clue we need...

John

LeeR
Level II

Win 10 Enterprise version 1809, OS Build 17736.1039.  Note: this is new Lenovo PC with a fresh build, I was just issued it.  This problem still plagued my last PC, an HP running WIN10 as well.

This issue appears mouse-independent.  I use 3 difference mice (work setup, home setup, mobile setup) and this issue impacts all of them.

JMP PRO 12

Given that when this happens, I just alt-tab to break the behavior, I haven't thought much about it, but when I saw the recent post I just responded...

jschroedl
Staff

Thank you for the details. I run a very close build Enterprise 1809 (OS Build 17763.1809). Do you know if it's 12.0, 12.1 or 12.2? Should show in the Help > About box.

A number of scrolling fixes have been made since JMP 12 so I am hopeful that one of those addresses this issue if you are able to update at some point.  Obviously, this doesn't help you today but it is good that you've found a workaround.