cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Register for our Discovery Summit 2024 conference, Oct. 21-24, where you’ll learn, connect, and be inspired.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Bar2024
Level II

Trend line

Hello,

I want to use JMP to create a trend line for stability parameters of drugs measured over time. For each batch produced, several formulations are taken and tested every three months. I want to check the trend of one of the parameters over time. For each time point, I have 6 measurements taken from different batches.

I want JMP to calculate the average of the measurements for each time point and display it on the graph.

In the end, I would like JMP to show a linear trend line for the entire time period, and if possible, having the equation of the line would be even better.

I know how to do this in Excel but think that JMP might offer a better alternative.

Can you help me?

I can reach the stage of displaying the averages for each time point in the Graph Builder graph.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jthi
Super User

Re: Trend line

Fix your time to be a numeric column instead if character (if it is one) and make it continuous if it should be continuous

jthi_0-1728233829214.png

-Jarmo

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
jthi
Super User

You might want to stack your data to possibly make this a bit easier. As you didn't provide the data, I will use JMP's Big Class for example (I'm also using JMP18 it can affect some features such as labeling)

jthi_0-1728226949995.png

Then I can change Summary statistic to mean

jthi_1-1728226963530.png

set label by value

jthi_2-1728226974033.png

Fit a line and enable Equation

jthi_3-1728226995205.png

-Jarmo
Bar2024
Level II

Thank you very much for your help. I would be happy to share the data. In general, I want the Y-axis to be the ASSAY and the X-axis to be the time points.

Thierry_S
Super User

Hi,

I have a couple of suggestions:

1. Stack your data and use the "Label" as a continuous Time variable (Tables > Stack)
  2. Using GraphBuilder, plot your data with Time as X and Measurement as Y
  3. In the "Points" menu (Left of the graph, below the Column Selection box, select Mean as Summary Statistic
  4. If you need to capture the variation for each average point in the same menu, select the appropriate error bar in the "Error Interval" (e.g., Standard Error, Standard Deviation,...)
  5. While holding the SHIFT key, select the Smoother line (Top of the graph, second from the left)

Note: If you have a grouping variable (e.g., groups of batches), you can enter this variable in the "Overlay"  box (Top-right of the graph)

Best,

TS

Thierry R. Sornasse
Bar2024
Level II

Thank you very much for the excellent explanation; it helped me a lot.

You introduced me to the stack option, and it will be useful for me in the future.

With your explanation, I was able to create the following graph (attached as a file). My question is whether it will be possible to create a straight line that demonstrates the trend that the points are forming? Additionally, can I display the equation of the line?

dlehman1
Level V

Just click the button above the graph showing a straight line and use the option to display the equation on the graph.

Bar2024
Level II

Unfortunately, despite everything, it doesn't work, and that's my problem

jthi
Super User

Fix your time to be a numeric column instead if character (if it is one) and make it continuous if it should be continuous

jthi_0-1728233829214.png

-Jarmo
Bar2024
Level II

Excellent! Thank you very much, this is exactly what I was looking for. I probably still don't fully understand the differences in data types.

Thank you to everyone who helped me solve the problem; I appreciate your valuable time.