cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
dannyfinn11
Level III

Summary statistics with multiple binning columns.

I'm trying to bin age data columne by range. So: 

1. Millennials: 18-34
  2. Generation X: 35-49 for example. Any idea how to quickly do this? I've created a copy of the data in a seperate column but I cant get jmp to bin out the data points. 
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: Summary statistics with multiple binning columns.

The age ranges need to have both a lower and upper range.  For your last category, you only specified "65<".  You need to also specify the upper boundary.  Just put in 999 as the upper bound, and all should be working

Jim

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
txnelson
Super User

You can do this a few different ways.

1. Use the "Recode" facility, which will allow you to either change the values in your existing column, or to create a new column with the binned values

bin2.PNG

2. Use the "Value Labels" column property, which will allow you to change the groupings for a column, without actually changing the stored values for the column

bin3.PNG

3. You can download the Interactive Binning Addin that Jeff Perkinson wrote

Interactive Binning

Jim
dannyfinn11
Level III

I used your second suggestion. But now some of the end range variables do not show up?

txnelson
Super User

Can you attach the data table you made the changes to so I can take a look at the Value Labels you applied?

Jim
dannyfinn11
Level III

txnelson
Super User

The age ranges need to have both a lower and upper range.  For your last category, you only specified "65<".  You need to also specify the upper boundary.  Just put in 999 as the upper bound, and all should be working

Jim