cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Mauro_Gerber
Level IV

Standardized plot in graph builder with spec limits

When I drag and drop multiple coulumns with diffrent spec limits in the Y or X axis, JMP makes something like a standardized plot with point or boxplots.

It's a very nice feautre, but I could not find the documentation how the blue (spec) and gray (reference frame) lines are calculated.

Thanks!

"I thought about our dilemma, and I came up with a solution that I honestly think works out best for one of both of us"
- GLaDOS
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: Standardized plot in graph builder with spec limits

If you are referring to the horizontal blue lines, they are not calculated.  They are taken directly from the USL, Target and LSL values in the column properties for the columns specified in the graph.  The gray vertical lines are also not calculated but are just reference points for each column.

The documentation can be found in

Help=>JMP Documentation Library=>Essential Graphing=>Graph Builder=>Parallel

Jim

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
txnelson
Super User

I have not been able to replicate your findings.  What release are you using?

Jim
Mauro_Gerber
Level IV

Hello Jim

Attached is a sample file with the script who produces the plot.

Thanks

"I thought about our dilemma, and I came up with a solution that I honestly think works out best for one of both of us"
- GLaDOS
txnelson
Super User

What appears to be happening, is that when you drag in as many columns to the X drop area, Graph Builder is taking on the format of a Parallel plot, but without the connecting lines, just the default points.  So what you need to do is to look at the documentation for the definition of the graph.

parallel.PNG

Jim
Mauro_Gerber
Level IV

THX, but I could't find something about this plot in the documentation.
- GLaDOS
txnelson
Super User

If you are referring to the horizontal blue lines, they are not calculated.  They are taken directly from the USL, Target and LSL values in the column properties for the columns specified in the graph.  The gray vertical lines are also not calculated but are just reference points for each column.

The documentation can be found in

Help=>JMP Documentation Library=>Essential Graphing=>Graph Builder=>Parallel

Jim
Mauro_Gerber
Level IV

THX for the reply I read trough the doc and I played a bit with the spec and distribution. I think that the different scale of the spec limits is due to rounding of the individual axis.

- GLaDOS