Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Simple bar chart of +250k data points in csv file

paulsheehan

Community Trekker

Jun 23, 2011

Fellow JMP Users.

I am new to JMP so I am not sure of what search terms to use in the forum to address the following issue:

I have +250k lines of a .csv file.
Each line has the same type and format of information.
The first value is a decimal number to 3 places of decimals (eg: 23.456)
The second value is an integer value.

I want to graph each first value (on the X-axis) against the its corresponding second value on the Y-axis.
I want the graph to be a bar or line chart so that the user can see the trend of Y value as one goes along the X axis.

1)How should I define the numbers? (ordinal, continous etc)
2)What type of graph should I use for this?
3)I have noticed that graphs in JMP are small. How do I increase the size of these graphs?

Any other information that you think is necessary

Regards
paulsheehan
4 REPLIES
pmroz

Super User

Jun 23, 2011

For > 250,000 rows of data I would not use a barchart - way too many bars!

Try using the Graph Builder for a simple line chart. Drag the first column to the X area and the second column to the Y area. Click OK and you're done.

Both columns should be numeric, unless there is some categorical significance to the integers. Then I'd use a different plot/analysis.

To make graphs bigger just click and drag the corner of the graph. If you like a particular sized graph, once you've set the size to something you like, click the little red triangle and select Script > Save Script to Data Table. If you want to run a script outside of the dataset select Script > Save Script to Script Window.
paulsheehan

Community Trekker

Jun 23, 2011

PMroz,

Unfortunately, I do not have JMP 8 and hence I do not have the Graph Builder.
My version is JMP 6.

After I load my .csv file, I do Graph > Chart.
For the Categories, X, Levels, I specify Column 1.
For the Statistics I specify Column 2. For the statistics I select N.
When I click okay I get a message saying that I am limited to 1000 samples

I know that this is not a simple bar chart, but it is the simplest that I can find
and none of the other charts under Graph seem to apply.

What alternatives do I have?

Thanks
Paul
mpb

Super User

Jun 23, 2011

A couple of choices assuming what you described in your original post is what you really want to do:

Make sure both columns are Numeric and Continuous.

1. Graph>Overlay Plot with Column 1 as X and Column 2 as Y and then customize using the red triangle pulldown menu (e.g. add connecting lines, turn off display of points, change plot symbol for points...)

2. Analyze>Fit Y by X with Column 1 as X and Column 2 as Y and then customize using the red triangle pulldown menu (e.g. fit a line or polynomial or smoothing spline, turn off display of points...)
paulsheehan

Community Trekker

Jun 23, 2011

mpb,

Due to time constraints, I have had to generate these graphs in Matlab. The graphs are adequate.
When I need to use JMP again, I will return to your two methods and give these a whirl.

Thank you for taking up this question.

paulsheehan