cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
justvince
Level III

Remove Quotes : Script to make column Formula

I am in the beginnings of making a script to find the delta between two measurements for many columns.  

I am having difficulty making column formulas when the column name has a dash....  

The parse command to remove quotes changes the dash to a minus operand which then messes with what I am trying to accomplish.

Error log:  

Unexpected "_92MHz_test_data". Perhaps there is a missing ";" or ",".

Here is the script (which works if the column(s) do not have an operand in the name.

E.g., 

dt = Current Data Table();
Col_Name = "diff";  // column(5) - Column(300)

Col_Name1_char = Char( Column Name( 5 ) ); // "bin of DWK112079-01_92MHz_test_data""  
Col_Name2_char = Char( Column Name( 300 ) );// "bin of  DWK112079-01_90MHz_test_data""

Col1_Name = (Concat( ":", (Col_Name1_char) )); //":bin of DWK112079-01_92MHz_test_data";
Col2_Name = ((Concat( ":", Col_Name2_char ))); // ":bin of DWK112079-01_90MHz_test_data";

Formula_I = ((Concat( col1_Name, " - ", Col2_Name )));  //Make the formula expression

a = Expr(
    New Column( X, formula( Z ) )
); // New column with name Diff
b = Substitute( Name Expr( a ), Expr( X ), Col_Name, Expr( Z ), Parse( Formula_I ) );  // This has error when Colnames has "-" in the name

Eval( b );  

//Note:

Show( Forumula_I, Parse( Formula_I ) );

//Note :  Formula_I = ":bin of DWK112079-01_92MHz_test_data - :bin of DWK112079-01_new_updated_test_data";
//Note    Parse(formula_I) = :bin of DWK112079 - 1;  This is not what I want

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: Remove Quotes : Script to make column Formula

The "-" in the middle of a column name is being interpreted by JMP as a subtraction.  Therefore, you need to indicate to JMP that the whole term is a column name.  The easiest way to do this is to use the naming structure of

":column name"n

The below is a rework of your script with the changes made

names default to here(1);
Col_Name = "diff";  // column(5) - Column(300)

Col_Name1_char = Char( Column Name( 5 ) ); // "bin of DWK112079-01_92MHz_test_data""  
Col_Name2_char = Char( Column Name( 300 ) );// "bin of  DWK112079-01_90MHz_test_data""

Col1_Name = (Concat( ":\!"", (Col_Name1_char), "\!"n" )); //":bin of DWK112079-01_92MHz_test_data";
Col2_Name = ((Concat( ":\!"", Col_Name2_char  , "\!"n" ))); // ":bin of DWK112079-01_90MHz_test_data";

Formula_I = ((Concat( col1_Name, " - ", Col2_Name )));  //Make the formula expression

a = Expr(
b = Substitute( Name Expr( a ), Expr( X ), Col_Name, Expr( Z ), Parse( Formula_I ) );  // This has error when Colnames has "-" in the name

Eval( b );  

//Note:

//Note :  Formula_I = ":bin of DWK112079-01_92MHz_test_data - :bin of DWK112079-01_new_updated_test_data";
//Note    Parse(formula_I) = :bin of DWK112079 - 1;  This is not what I want
Jim

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
txnelson
Super User

The "-" in the middle of a column name is being interpreted by JMP as a subtraction.  Therefore, you need to indicate to JMP that the whole term is a column name.  The easiest way to do this is to use the naming structure of

":column name"n

The below is a rework of your script with the changes made

names default to here(1);
Col_Name = "diff";  // column(5) - Column(300)

Col_Name2_char = Char( Column Name( 300 ) );// "bin of  DWK112079-01_90MHz_test_data""

Col1_Name = (Concat( ":\!"", (Col_Name1_char), "\!"n" )); //":bin of DWK112079-01_92MHz_test_data";
Col2_Name = ((Concat( ":\!"", Col_Name2_char  , "\!"n" ))); // ":bin of DWK112079-01_90MHz_test_data";

Formula_I = ((Concat( col1_Name, " - ", Col2_Name )));  //Make the formula expression

a = Expr(
b = Substitute( Name Expr( a ), Expr( X ), Col_Name, Expr( Z ), Parse( Formula_I ) );  // This has error when Colnames has "-" in the name

Eval( b );  

//Note:

//Note :  Formula_I = ":bin of DWK112079-01_92MHz_test_data - :bin of DWK112079-01_new_updated_test_data";
//Note    Parse(formula_I) = :bin of DWK112079 - 1;  This is not what I want
Jim
justvince
Level III

I would have never been able to figure this out.   Thanks so much, works perfectly!