cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
tom_abramov
Level V

Range check refresh in column

Hi,

I have this file with column that has range check property, but the numbers in the column are not filtered automatically.

Please see the table attached.

How may I apply the range via scripting?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
tom_abramov
Level V

Re: Range check refresh in column

The answer is:

dt = New Table( "RangeCheckDB",Add Rows( 6 ),New Column( "X",Numeric,"Continuous",Format( "Best", 12 ),

Range Check( LELT( 0, 100 ) ),Set Selected,Set Values( [0.46, 0.06, -903.19, 0.1, 1555, -233] )));

col = Column( dt, "X" );

prop = col << Get Property( "Range Check" ); // prop = Range Check( LELT( 0, 100 ) )

col << Delete property( "Range Check" ); // Delete property from col

// Set property back to original value

Eval( // Evaluate the expression

Eval Expr( // Evaluate items marked with Expr()

col << set property( "Range Check", Expr( Arg Expr( prop, 1 ) ) ) // Arg Expr( prop, 1 ) == LELT( 0, 100 )

)

);

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
shoffmeister
Level V

I'm not completely sure what you expect the script to do, but generally you can adjust the range check values using: 

:"-32 mesh" << Range Check(LTLT(-100, 100));

If you want to adjust the range check to the values in your data file you could try something like that:

:"-32 mesh" << Range Check(LELE(colmin(:"-32 mesh"), 100));

Of course I don't know how the range check makes sense then. Hope that helps anyways.

tom_abramov
Level V

Thank you,

What I mean - I have the table with range check property already EXISTS in the column,

but still see the values beyond the range.

May be there is some refresh function for range check that will convert out of range values to missing?

I dont want to add the property, but to refresh the existing.

Thanks again.

shoffmeister
Level V

Ah I see the problem now.

What works for me is the following: 

:"-32 mesh" << Delete Property("Range Check");

:"-32 mesh" << Range Check(LELT(0, 100));

But there might be a more elegant way that I do not know.

Do you need the column property? I think of this property as the way to prevent interactive users of this data table from entering values that are deemed invalid by a range check. If you are populating the column with only the script, then you don't need this property. If you are cleaning the data after importing it from another source, then there is another way. If you are filtering the data as part of the function of the script, then there is another way.

It reminds me of another JMP column property: column formula. They are a tough habit for scripters to break.

tom_abramov
Level V

Thank you,

I still prefer to use the Range Check.

It works while adding the property to the column, but doesn't while cocatenating new data to the column with existing property.

So, is there some way to delete/add Range check property in following way?

myProp = myColumn << Get Property("Range Check");
myColumn << Delete Property( "Range Check" );
myColumn << Set Property(myProp);

Thanks.

tom_abramov
Level V

The answer is:

dt = New Table( "RangeCheckDB",Add Rows( 6 ),New Column( "X",Numeric,"Continuous",Format( "Best", 12 ),

Range Check( LELT( 0, 100 ) ),Set Selected,Set Values( [0.46, 0.06, -903.19, 0.1, 1555, -233] )));

col = Column( dt, "X" );

prop = col << Get Property( "Range Check" ); // prop = Range Check( LELT( 0, 100 ) )

col << Delete property( "Range Check" ); // Delete property from col

// Set property back to original value

Eval( // Evaluate the expression

Eval Expr( // Evaluate items marked with Expr()

col << set property( "Range Check", Expr( Arg Expr( prop, 1 ) ) ) // Arg Expr( prop, 1 ) == LELT( 0, 100 )

)

);