Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Highlighted
jmpvmd
Level II

Question about multivariate analysis to draw individual conclusions about a categorical variable

Hi!

I was told to do a multivariate analysis to draw conclusions about different grants, but am a bit confused how to proceed.

I have a categorical variable (Grant Type: 1, 2, 3 or 4) 

and several numerical variables (number of publications, amount of funding ($), and number of citations) 

I tried to do a nominal logistic regression using fit model, by putting grant type in the Y and the other variables under model effects, but I am not able to examine individual differences for each grant. 

What multivariate analysis is appropriate here so that I can conclude effects specific to each grant, and not just in general?

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Thierry_S
Level VI

Re: Question about multivariate analysis to draw individual conclusions about a categorical variable

Hi,
It really depends on the question you need to address (i.e. what is the hypothesis you want to test). At first glance, I would suggest that the type of grants should be a factor in your model (i.e. X variable) with the outcome (Y) being one of the continuous measures you listed (e.g. number of publications or number of citations). Considering that the amount of funding is also a property of the grants, I would include in as a factor too with a possible interaction between grant type and amount of funding. This will result in a 1- or 2-way ANOVA that should be pretty simple to interpret, but again: what is the question you need to address?
Best,
TS
Thierry R. Sornasse
Article Labels