Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Problem with repeated measures / mixed model

ac11ca

Community Trekker

Mar 2, 2012

I am an SPSS user trying to migrate to JMP. I am having problems with a repeated measures experiment.

In my study, respondents select between various base model vehicles vs. more fuel efficient vehicles. In the study, I manipulated how the vehicle's fuel economy information was presented.

The design:

• Repeated measure: Metric: “Gallons” vs. “Dollars” (i.e., all choices between base models and more fuel efficient models were presented with fuel economy in terms of gallons and later again in terms of dollars, or reverse order).
  • Between-subjects variable: Metric order: "Gallons --> Dollars" vs. "Dollars --> Gallons".
  • Between-subjects variable: Scale: “per 100 miles” vs. “per 100,00 miles”.
  • Between-subjects variable: Differences Calculated: “Yes” vs. “No”.
  • The dependent variable was "Choice", which was the average of six different vehicle comparisons.

I have attached my SPSS file. I arrange the data like this: Participant / Scale / Differences_Calculated / Metric_Order / Choice_Gallons / Choice _Dollars ... and then ran a GLM Repeated Measures analysis with a full factorial design. My output is attached and it matches what I see in the figure perfectly. 

I am now trying to run the same analysis with what I believe is called a mixed model in JMP. In order to do this, I have rearranged the data to look like this: Participant / Scale / Differences_Calculated / Metric_Order / Metric / Choice ... and then tried to fit a full factorial mode + Participant as a random effect. My output is saved as a script in the attached. Basically, I get a convergence error and I don't know why.

Can you please help me understand what I am doing wrong and how to conduct the equivalent analysis?

Thanks,

Adrian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

The modeling type for Participant needs to be "nominal", not  "continuous". See if that helps. I couldn't compare the results with yours because it appears SPSS is necessary to read the .spv and .sav files.

2 REPLIES
Solution

The modeling type for Participant needs to be "nominal", not  "continuous". See if that helps. I couldn't compare the results with yours because it appears SPSS is necessary to read the .spv and .sav files.

ac11ca

Community Trekker

Mar 2, 2012

Thank you! That was indeed the problem.