cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
‘New to using JMP? Hit the ground running with the Early User Edition of Discovery Summit – register now, free of charge.
Register for our Discovery Summit 2024 conference, Oct. 21-24, where you’ll learn, connect, and be inspired.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Suza
Level I

Problem to read / understand error message from "debug script"

Hello,

I am using option called jmp debug to verifiy my script before start it first but I am running regular in issues to find bug because error message is not clear for me.

for ex:

my new script ends at line 1652 but I get error message regarding entry in line 1660 col 2. 

any inputs?

pic.PNG

3 REPLIES 3
Ryan_Gilmore
Community Manager Community Manager

Re: Problem to read / understand error message from "debug script"

You are most likely missing a comma, semi-colon, or parenthesis. These are not always obvious. 

Depending on how the JSL is structured, I have found that the code folding feature of the editor is sometimes useful to help narrow the scope of where the problem is. Also, the indentation guides may provide some assistance as well.

Craige_Hales
Super User

When you put the text cursor on an open parenthesis, the matching close parenthesis highlights. You might need to scroll (with the scrollbars, not the arrow keys) to see the match. Works or the curly braces and square brackets as well, and works from either end.

The New Column hint is probably important; JMP thinks it is still inside a NewColumn( ... function and has not found a matching close parenthesis. It might be 1600 lines above.

Craige
jthi
Super User

This post might also be very helpful for debugging problems like this: The 4th thing I wish I knew when I started scripting: What to do when things go wrong.

Script editor also allows matching and highlighting parts of code based on expressions and their fences: Match Parentheses, Brackets, and Braces.

-Jarmo