Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Probelm with Axis Format in Graph Builder

tnelson

Community Trekker

Jun 11, 2012

Hi, I'm trying to create a graph in JMP using the Graph Builder and am having some real issues formatting it. On the x-axis I have a category labeled 'steps', which is a discrete numeric value. In this example it ranges from 1 to 10. On the y-axis I am plotting a ratio. Each step as a ratio associated with it, from a minimum of 0.77 to a maximum of 1.12. So I have dragged 'steps' to the x-axis and 'ratio' to the y-axis and it seems to display fine.

I want to add in Reference Line on the y-axis at a value of 1, however. So I right click on the y-axis values and go to 'axis settings', then I put in a value of '1' and add the reference line but when I do so the line displays at about the 0.86 mark on the y-axis. I realized that at the top of the 'axis settings' box it says 'Format: 0 is 0.78, 7 is 1.11'. I realize this is why the reference line at '1' is showing up in a weird spot on my axis. The problem is: there doesn't appear to be a way to change my 'Format' in the 'axis settings' box. Is there any way I can fix this? It is a very annoyning issue that doesn't make any sense to me as to why it would be occuring.

Thank you!

2 REPLIES
Wendy_Murphrey

Jun 23, 2011

Hello,

The reason Graph Builder is showing a format of '0 is 0.78, 7 is 1.11' is because the column used on the Y axis is categorical.  If you change the Modeling Type in Column Info to Continuous, then placing a reference line at 1 will actually appear at 1.  You might need to 'Start Over' in the Graph Builder window in order for the correct format to appear in the Y axis settings.

Hope that helps!

Wendy
tnelson

Community Trekker

Jun 11, 2012

That solved the problem. Thank you!