cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Danial
Level II

Plotting combination of 3D scatterplot

Need help to display my data set in the form of 3D scatterplot to display multi-dimensional data as shown below:

3D scatterplot with colour gradient.jpg

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

Re: Plotting combination of 3D scatterplot

@Thierry_S gave you some good options. I'll give you one more that will serve you well across lots of parts of JMP.

In general, the colors (and markers and other characteristics) of points in graphs are controlled by the Row State. It's the area that has the row number in it. If you right click in this area you can set the color of the selected rows.

2020-11-03_14-07-10.151.png

You can set the color of all the rows based on the value in another column using the Rows -> Color or Mark by Column...  menu.

2020-11-03_14-04-01.088.png

Results in: 

2020-11-03_14-09-43.545.png

And, when you then use Scatterplot 3D you'll get this:

2020-11-03_14-10-35.039.png

As I said earlier, those colors will be used in all graphs, so here's the scatterplot matrix after coloring by Z:

2020-11-03_14-11-41.500.png

I hope this helps. Row States are one of the many features in JMP that make it powerful and fun.

-Jeff

View solution in original post

Danial
Level II

Hi thanks a lot for the advise. 

May I know where can I get to the option you mentioned. I can't find the option that allows me to select Z as color variable. Apart from that, could you advise me on how to create the legend with respect to the z-axis on the side?

Danial
Level II

Hi @Jeff_Perkinson thanks for the explanation. It worked and really opened up new ways to look into my data. Thank you so much!

There's another thing bothering me. Honestly I felt a little stuck to bring up the legend regarding the z-axis next to the graph. Hope I could lean on your expertise to figure this out.

Thierry_S
Super User

Hi Danial,

In the Scatter 3D plot menu: Graph > Scatter 3D, you should see a placeholder to enter the "Y, Columns" -> enter X, Y, abd Z columns; below, you see a placeholder for "Coloring" --> enter Z column. The legend will be created automatically.
Let us know if you are using a different method or you don't have the functionality in your version of JMP.
Best,
TS
Thierry R. Sornasse

8 REPLIES 8
txnelson
Super User

I am assuming that your reference to "combination" is that you have multiple columns, or multiple data tables that you need to put together and then use the 3D Scatter plot platform to display the results. Could you please describe what the "combination" is?
Jim
Danial
Level II

I have a dataset with x, y and z coordinates. I just wanted to assign colour gradient based on the values of the z-axis.

Thierry_S
Super User

Hi,
Option 1: In your table, go to your Z column > Column Properties > Color Gradient; choose your color scale maximum minimum and center position; and then in your plot, select Z as Color variable.
Option 2: You can also just drop your Z column in GB as your Color variable, and then right click on the gradient scale to set the parameters as listed above.
Best,
TS
Thierry R. Sornasse
Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

@Thierry_S gave you some good options. I'll give you one more that will serve you well across lots of parts of JMP.

In general, the colors (and markers and other characteristics) of points in graphs are controlled by the Row State. It's the area that has the row number in it. If you right click in this area you can set the color of the selected rows.

2020-11-03_14-07-10.151.png

You can set the color of all the rows based on the value in another column using the Rows -> Color or Mark by Column...  menu.

2020-11-03_14-04-01.088.png

Results in: 

2020-11-03_14-09-43.545.png

And, when you then use Scatterplot 3D you'll get this:

2020-11-03_14-10-35.039.png

As I said earlier, those colors will be used in all graphs, so here's the scatterplot matrix after coloring by Z:

2020-11-03_14-11-41.500.png

I hope this helps. Row States are one of the many features in JMP that make it powerful and fun.

-Jeff
Danial
Level II

Hi @Jeff_Perkinson thanks for the explanation. It worked and really opened up new ways to look into my data. Thank you so much!

There's another thing bothering me. Honestly I felt a little stuck to bring up the legend regarding the z-axis next to the graph. Hope I could lean on your expertise to figure this out.

Danial
Level II

Hi thanks a lot for the advise. 

May I know where can I get to the option you mentioned. I can't find the option that allows me to select Z as color variable. Apart from that, could you advise me on how to create the legend with respect to the z-axis on the side?

Thierry_S
Super User

Hi Danial,

In the Scatter 3D plot menu: Graph > Scatter 3D, you should see a placeholder to enter the "Y, Columns" -> enter X, Y, abd Z columns; below, you see a placeholder for "Coloring" --> enter Z column. The legend will be created automatically.
Let us know if you are using a different method or you don't have the functionality in your version of JMP.
Best,
TS
Thierry R. Sornasse
Danial
Level II

@Thierry_S It worked! Thank you so much. I learnt something new