cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Have your say in shaping JMP's future by participating in the new JMP Wish List Prioritization Survey
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Kanstantsin
Level II

Pixellation in GraphBuilder titles

Hi everyone,

not sure whether this is a bug or whether i'm doing something wrong, so maybe someone could help.

When i export graphs from GraphBuilder and the "transparency" in Preferences/Reports is "on", i get a very pixellated text:

Kanstantsin_0-1689339886911.png

if I turn it off, it looks fine:

Kanstantsin_1-1689339904456.png

I want to have transparent backgrounds with the normal quality text. Would anyone happen to have a suggestion on how to solve this?

Another note - if i export it to PowerPoint, the text is good and the background is transparent, but export to file (via script) gives the pixellated picture, as in the example.

Best wishes,

Konstantin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
hogi
Level XI

Re: Pixellation in GraphBuilder titles

you could check under Preferences/Windows specific the resolution for PNG and JPEG export. 
With "300" you will get a much better quality.

I am also a big fan of EMF export. On a Windows system you can even change parts of the plot later in Powerpoint.
To make it work, you have t o enable EMF copy/paste in the preferences.

Disadvantages of EMF:

• Just works for programs which support EMF (so don't disable the other option if you want to send plots via Teams :).
  • Please also note that depending on the size of the table, the EMF export can take very (!) long.
    On the other hand, the speed for copy/paste can be increased tremendously if EMF is deselected:

hogi_1-1689362030533.png

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Thierry_S
Super User

Hi,

The answer will vary depending on your system (Windows or MacOS) and export method.

For Windows Copy-Paste, you could try Paste Special > Enhanced Metafile to improve the resolution of the exported plots.

• Copy the plot as usual
  • In the receiving application (Word, PowerPoint), press CTRL + ALT + V
  • Select "Enhanced Metafile" (not the Window Enhanced Metafile)

Let us know if that help.

Best,

TS

Thierry R. Sornasse
hogi
Level XI

you could check under Preferences/Windows specific the resolution for PNG and JPEG export. 
With "300" you will get a much better quality.

I am also a big fan of EMF export. On a Windows system you can even change parts of the plot later in Powerpoint.
To make it work, you have t o enable EMF copy/paste in the preferences.

Disadvantages of EMF:

• Just works for programs which support EMF (so don't disable the other option if you want to send plots via Teams :).
  • Please also note that depending on the size of the table, the EMF export can take very (!) long.
    On the other hand, the speed for copy/paste can be increased tremendously if EMF is deselected:

hogi_1-1689362030533.png

Kanstantsin
Level II

Thanks for the replies! Gonna go with this one, because this saves a few clicks when inserting individual graphs somewhere!

I'm actually running a jsl loop like this to put a bunch of images into one report (with some custom axis autoscaling and a pptx export as well):

win = New Window( "Window", Outline Box( "Graphs", hb = V List Box() ) );
For( i = 9, i <= N Cols( dt ), i++,
	gb = Graph Builder( Variables( X( :Column1 ), Y( Eval( i ) ), overlay( :Group ) ) );
	hb << Append( Report( gb ) << child );
	hb << append( Page Break Box() );
	gb << Save Picture( "path" || strTitle || ".emf", emf );

gb << close window;
);