Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Alicia
Level III

Paired-samples test of equivalence

Hi,

Is it possible within JMP Pro to perform a paired-samples test of equivalence? I can only see an option under the Fit Y by X platform to carry out an equivalence test without a grouping variable.

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Paired-samples test of equivalence

You generally use the Analyze > Specialized Modeling > Matched Pairs for this purpose, but this platform does not currently provide an equivalence test. For now, use a formula to compute the difference in the data table. I mocked up paired responses Y1 and Y2.

table.PNG

Select Analyze > Distribution and launch it with Difference in the Y role. Click the red triangle next to Difference and select Test Equivalence:

menu.PNG

Specify 0 for the expected mean and whatever limit you use for practical equivalence. I claim that my example is equivalent if the result is within 1 unit:

dialog.PNG

Click OK, and you will get the result:

result.PNG

This example shows that these two responses are practically equivalent because the two-sided tests are significant and the confidence interval estimate of the mean is entirely within the +/- 1 interval specified.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

You generally use the Analyze > Specialized Modeling > Matched Pairs for this purpose, but this platform does not currently provide an equivalence test. For now, use a formula to compute the difference in the data table. I mocked up paired responses Y1 and Y2.

table.PNG

Select Analyze > Distribution and launch it with Difference in the Y role. Click the red triangle next to Difference and select Test Equivalence:

menu.PNG

Specify 0 for the expected mean and whatever limit you use for practical equivalence. I claim that my example is equivalent if the result is within 1 unit:

dialog.PNG

Click OK, and you will get the result:

result.PNG

This example shows that these two responses are practically equivalent because the two-sided tests are significant and the confidence interval estimate of the mean is entirely within the +/- 1 interval specified.

Alicia
Level III

Thank you so much, that's so helpful!

SLO11
Level I

Hi Mark,

Is this still the appropriate method for doing a paired TOST or is there new capability in JMP 17?

Thank you,

Stephanie

Yes, this way is still the most appropriate method using JMP 17..

Equivalence testing has been added to Matched Pairs in JMP 18, which will be out in a couple of months. You won't have to calculate the difference prior to launching the platform. There is no preparation of the data required. Also, it provides a richer set of tests and a non-parametric form. The reporting is richer, too, consistent with recent additions of equivalence tests in other platforms.