cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
eward3614
Level I

ODBC connection

How do I create an ODBC connection from LIMS to JMP?

2 REPLIES 2
pmroz
Super User

Re: ODBC connection

1. Make sure you have the LIMS driver installed.  You may need to create a named data source using the ODBC administrator

2. Click on File > Database > Open Table

3. Click on New Connection...

4. Click on the Machine Data Source tab and locate the named data source for your LIMS ODBC driver.

If a named data source doesn't exist:

- Click the New button and create a User Data Source. 

- Select the LIMS driver from the list and click Next.  You'll need to supply information and credentials specific to your LIMS system. 

- Because this can be so variable you'll probably need to contact the LIMS vendor for help.

5. If a named data source exists, or after creating one, select it.

6. You should get a prompt for LIMS credentials.  I'm not sure what this will look like; for Oracle it wants a TNS name, username and password.

7. You should get to a screen showing usernames (or schemas) and tables.  Select a schema and table, and then click Open Table

If you've gotten this far most of the heavy lifting has been done.  With the table that you've read in, click on the red triangle next to Source (under the table name) and select Edit.  If Source does not show up go to File > Preferences, Tables and uncheck the box next to ODBC Hide Connection String.

This will show you the JSL that JMP used to open the table from the database.  You can to save the connection string for reuse in other queries.

There's a comparable path if you use JMP's query builder.

Peter_Bartell
Level VIII

Re: ODBC connection

Some of the answer will depend on the type of database you are attempting to connect too. Plus a multitude of other considerations. Hopefully you are using a recent version of JMP so you can use JMP Query Builder. Query Builder has the richest set of not just connection capabilities, but query building capabilities, storing, editing, sharing, and ultimately running a query. Here is a link to the main online documentation in JMP for this general topic of working with databases within JMP Query Builder:

https://www.jmp.com/support/help/14/query-builder.shtml#609432