cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
pmroz
Super User

Need Uneven Intervals on X Axis in Graph Builder (value labels didn't work)

Hello all,

I've seen similar questions but nothing quite like this one.  I have data that looks like this:

PeriodStart DateEnd DateRF
101Jan200531Dec20050.1
201Jan200630Jun20060.2
301Jul200631Dec20060.3
401Jan200731Dec20070.4

The Period column consists of consecutive integers, usually starting at 1.  As you can see the Start Date column has uneven increments.  Users want to see a graph of RF vs Period:

11145_rf vs period.png

However the analysis we're doing is based on the Start Date column.  That graph looks like this:

11146_rf vs start date.png

I'd like to have something like the second graph, only with Period numbers on the X axis, unevenly spaced.  I tried setting value labels for Start Date but when dragged Start Date onto the X axis it ignored my value labels.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Peter

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
KarenC
Super User (Alumni)

Re: Need Uneven Intervals on X Axis in Graph Builder (value labels didn't work)

Peter,

I "tricked" graph builder into doing this:

11147_GB.jpg

I used reference lines with 0% color with labels and then changed the increment on the x-axis until is was such that no dates plotted.  So if you can script that maybe it would work. It would be a "pain" to do for a large dataset or more than once. It would be better if value labels would translate to the axis labels.

Ah but this is what you might have already found.....so I have nothing for you.

Good Luck

Karen

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ron_horne
Super User (Alumni)

hi PMroz​,

are any of the comments on this link of use?

uneven intervals on the axis

Ron

pmroz
Super User

I looked at that before posting and the best suggestion was from Xan: add labeled reflines for the "real" labels.  Was hoping for something easier.

KarenC
Super User (Alumni)

Peter,

I "tricked" graph builder into doing this:

11147_GB.jpg

I used reference lines with 0% color with labels and then changed the increment on the x-axis until is was such that no dates plotted.  So if you can script that maybe it would work. It would be a "pain" to do for a large dataset or more than once. It would be better if value labels would translate to the axis labels.

Ah but this is what you might have already found.....so I have nothing for you.

Good Luck

Karen

pmroz
Super User

Thanks Karen.  I was headed in that direction but your answer provided good clarification.