cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
GG74
Level II

Jmp17 boxplot points spread

HI, I just moved from JMP16 to JMP17. While doing my boxplots i noticed that the points into the boxpltos are arranged in a weird way , they appears aligned in rows and if I chosse the points spread option the graph becomes completely un-readable.

this is an example of the non spread case:

GG74_0-1708945463067.png

if i activate the points spread option the same plots becomes this way:

no need to say that is useless

GG74_1-1708945532695.png

is there any way to have the same as in JMP16 which is this here?

GG74_2-1708945585210.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Jmp17 boxplot points spread

Based on your response to previous posts, I am guessing that you are using the boxplots in Fit Y by X. The Display Options from the red popup menu only offers Points Spread and Points Jittered which gives you the two pictures you shared. However, use Points Jittered. Then right-click on the graph and choose Customize. In the dialog that appears, click on Marker and then you can choose the different jittering options. The default is the Centered Grid. 

Dan_Obermiller_0-1708998006841.png

I think you want Random Uniform. I don't think it will look exactly like version 16, but it is pretty close and will keep the points from running into each other.

Dan Obermiller

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Hi @GG74 , 

Instead of the 'Points Spread' option, you may want to try setting 'Points Jittered' to a jitter option that looks good for your data.

Hope this helps, 

~John 

GG74
Level II

Hi, the "points jittered" option is always activated, and the results are the one you see.

this is not the solution, thanks for your interest

mmarchandTSI
Level V

He's saying to choose a different "jitter" option.

mmarchandTSI_0-1708956932007.png

GG74
Level II

I did not get initially your suggestion, sorry about that.

GG

Sorry @GG74 , 

I should have posted a screenshot like Dan did.  I assumed you were using Fit Y by X and was suggesting to choose "Points Jittered" from the red triangle menu:

John_Powell_JMP_0-1709042989999.png

What's good about Dan's solution is that you can adjust the jittering 'Limit' in the Customize dialog (in addition to choosing Random Uniform) to control how much the points are spread horizontally. You might want to choose a value of 0.3 or less to make it look more like JMP 16's jittering. 

Dan's solution also works in Graph Builder. 

Thanks to everyone who chimed in.

~John

dlehman1
Level IV

I'm having trouble understanding your question.  Your first and third graphs don't look like they are using the same data - are they?  Perhaps the solution offered by mmarchandTSI is what you are after, but I couldn't tell exactly what you are objecting to.  Points spread certainly doesn't seem like what you want.  When I use my data and use points jittered the graphs look fine, so can you explain exactly what you don't like about the first graph?  Also, is this being produced in Graph Builder or some other platform?

Based on your response to previous posts, I am guessing that you are using the boxplots in Fit Y by X. The Display Options from the red popup menu only offers Points Spread and Points Jittered which gives you the two pictures you shared. However, use Points Jittered. Then right-click on the graph and choose Customize. In the dialog that appears, click on Marker and then you can choose the different jittering options. The default is the Centered Grid. 

Dan_Obermiller_0-1708998006841.png

I think you want Random Uniform. I don't think it will look exactly like version 16, but it is pretty close and will keep the points from running into each other.

Dan Obermiller