Share your ideas for the JMP Scripting Unsession at Discovery Summit by September 17th. We hope to see you there!
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Highlighted
guyvanhove
Level III

JMP turns character into date

I found some odd behaviour in JMP. I don't know why it happens and how to fix it.

Here's what I did:

- set data/modeling type of Column 1 to Character/Nominal

- enter the value 5.0

- create a second column

- use the formula Num(Column 1) in this second column

- JMP turns this 5.0 into a weird date-type of thing, in this case 3039984000, instead of just 5 or 5.0

Also see attached file.

I did not ask for a date format and it's also not showing any kind of date format in the Column Info properties.

Thanks for helping out.

JMP_date.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: JMP turns character into date

Hi,

I really don't know why JMP is interpreting that as a date.  In the meantime, does this formula help?:

Num( Substitute( :Column1, ".", "," ) )

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
txnelson
Super User

I was not able to replicate this behavior. What version of JMP are you using, and what operating system?
Jim
Highlighted
guyvanhove
Level III

JMP 15.0.0 on Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise version 10.0.17134.

Highlighted

Hi,

I believe this has to do with using a period or comma as the decimal indicator.  Please see the image below.  My usual decimal indicator is a comma.  In the first row I use a comma and the number converts correctly, but in the second for I use a period and get the same result as you did.  If you highlight the column in question and go to "Edit-->Search-->Find" you can use the "replace all" feature to put the values in Column 1 to the correct format.  Let us know if this resolves the issue.

HadleyMyers_0-1592384624900.png

Highlighted
guyvanhove
Level III

Yes that helps.

Problem though is that the 5.0 in my example is actually being pulled from a database in this format.

Would there be an easy way to change the dot to a comma using a Formula, prior to converting it into a numeric value?

Highlighted
guyvanhove
Level III

This solves the issue, however the data in Column 1 is actually being pulled from a database so I would like to leave that column as is and convert it into a numeric using a Formula. Is there way to convert the dot into a comma using the Formula? That would solve it I guess.

Still it's strange why JMP really wants to turn it into a date, there doesn't seem to be any requirement defined on the columns.

Highlighted

Hi,

I really don't know why JMP is interpreting that as a date.  In the meantime, does this formula help?:

Num( Substitute( :Column1, ".", "," ) )

View solution in original post

Highlighted
guyvanhove
Level III

It does, thanks!
Article Labels