Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Apssub
Level I

JMP for antibody titration curves

Hi

Hi All, im a very novice jmp user and am trying to analyze an antibody titration curve using JMP. I tried to fit a 4PHill. However i got some very weird values on my estimates with my inflection point (-1.72)  and lower asymptote (-26453.17) having negative values while the upper asymptote showed 97.11.  In additions the P value was not significant for both the inflection point and lower asymptote (approx 0.98 on both). Am i using the wrong type of curve? How do i approach this? any help is appreciated! Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: JMP for antibody titration curves

Adding to @Chris_Kirchberg's comment, another common cause for failing to converge to chosen model is that it is over-specified. For example, the dilution curve might be a 4PLC, but if experimentally only a portion of the curve is observed, then it is difficult to estimate all of the parameters, and a simpler model will be more successful. Otherwise, you must extend the domain to observe more of the curve if you want to fit the more complex model.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Please post your data (JMP data table) if possible.

Also, are you using the Hill model in the model library associated with the Analyze > Specialized Modeling > Nonlinear platform? Or are you using the Analyze > Specialized Modeling > Fit Curve platform?

Apssub
Level I

@Mark_Bailey..i tried it both ways and it still gave me the negative values:-(

Georg
Level VII

Hi @Apssub 

as @Mark_Bailey posted already, a sample would be really helpful, you can also kind of anonymize it to avoid unveiling confidential information.

Did you have a look at the examples, e.g. in the scripting index you will find that script ( > Help >Scripting Index > search for 4P HILL).

Simply execute and have a look at the result.

Names Default To Here( 1 );
dt = Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA/Nonlinear Examples/Bioassay.jmp" );
obj = dt << Fit Curve(
	Y( :Toxicity ),
	X( :log Conc ),
	Group( :formulation )
);
obj << Fit Logistic 4P Hill;
Georg
Apssub
Level I

Hi,

Thanks for responding

Please see attached file.

Not sure what to understand from the P values since both lower asymptote and inflection point have higher P values suggesting no significance on this curve..how can i use this to determine the optimal mass of antibody from the titration 

Thanks!

Hi @Apssub ,

I think the problem is the model chosen for the data.  A 3 parameter model would be more appropriate and why you are getting negative values.  Notice the shape of the curve. Going from 0 to some number and then tapering off at some asymptote. That is the shape of a 3 parameter model.

Hope that helps.

Chris Kirchberg, M.S.2
Data Scientist, Life Sciences - Global Technical Enablement
JMP Statistical Discovery, LLC. - Denver, CO
Tel: +1-919-531-9927 ▪ Mobile: +1-303-378-7419 ▪ E-mail: chris.kirchberg@jmp.com
www.jmp.com
Apssub
Level I

@Chris...thanks so much..the Logistic 3P works great and resolved the issue of negative values...now it looks better with P<0.001..however i am still lost as to how i extrapolate this to derive the optimal titered antibody mass.

Thierry_S
Super User

Hi,

To add to @Chris_Kirchberg, I wonder if you actually need a logistic model at all because your data is essentially an exponential growth curve.

See below the comparison of the Exponential 3P, Logistic 3P, and Logistic 4P Hill models: the Exponential 3P model is the most effective at describing your data (lowest AICc).

Thierry_S_4-1618547678651.png

Thierry_S_5-1618547789155.png

Best,

TS

Thierry R. Sornasse
Apssub
Level I

<@Thierry_S..thanks for the additional tips...a colleague recommended a bivariate fit as well and weighting to determine the linear region. But once that is determined what concentration of antibody should be chosen from the linear region (in my case i get 3 points in the linear region) . I am still confused on what to choose>

Adding to @Chris_Kirchberg's comment, another common cause for failing to converge to chosen model is that it is over-specified. For example, the dilution curve might be a 4PLC, but if experimentally only a portion of the curve is observed, then it is difficult to estimate all of the parameters, and a simpler model will be more successful. Otherwise, you must extend the domain to observe more of the curve if you want to fit the more complex model.