cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
landon
Super User (Alumni)

Is there an easier way to have point and line legend labels together for the same group level?

For example, in Graph Builder I make a simple scatter plot and then push a categorical group to the Overlay option ... it groups all the point legends together and groups all the lines legends together. Is there an wasier way to have point and line legends group together for the same group level (so the 'a' legends are together, the 'b' legends are together, etc).

I know I can use Legend Settings to modify the order to get what I want. Just wondered if there is an easier way I'm missing?

landon_0-1614270871072.png

landon_1-1614271012615.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ih
Super User (Alumni) ih
Super User (Alumni)

Re: Is there an easier way to have point and line legend labels together for the same group level?

Not exactly your stated goal, but you can set the item wrap field in legend settings to put the labels for points and lines right next to each other without too much effort, like this:

ih_0-1614285739212.png

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ih
Super User (Alumni) ih
Super User (Alumni)

Re: Is there an easier way to have point and line legend labels together for the same group level?

Not exactly your stated goal, but you can set the item wrap field in legend settings to put the labels for points and lines right next to each other without too much effort, like this:

ih_0-1614285739212.png

landon
Super User (Alumni)

Thanks for the quick replies on the Item Wrap option in Legend Settings. That definitely feels more compact.

Noticed when I changed the line styles for some of the groups it dorks up the point shape shown in the legend (don't change the point shapes in the plot thank goodness). Small bug?

landon_2-1614388216191.png

ron_horne
Super User (Alumni)

That does look like a nasty surprise coming out of nowhere.

Using JMP 14.2 I didn't get this surprise. from my experience with these kind of surprises, they can sometime be fixed by changing the order of commands. try first setting the legend and then the dashed lines or vise versa.

ron_horne_3-1614433324419.png

ron_horne
Super User (Alumni)

Hi @landon 

If this is helps a little bit try clicking twice on the menu in order to get to the options. Once you are there you can wrap according to how many items you have and also manually delete the labels of the dots as in the picture.

you can see the script in the table attached.

ron_horne_1-1614290093211.png

let us know if it helps,

ron