cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
surfacethought
Level III

Is there a way to calculate erfc(x) in JMP?

Title is pretty self explanatory. I am trying to do non-linear least squares with a transcendental function that includes the error function (complement). However when I try to define a predict column using the function I was sad to find that there is no erf(x) in the transcendental group of functions. Without being able to calculate the error function there is no way that I can perform this nonlinear least squares in JMP!  Does anyone know if it is possible to do in JMP? I can use an approximation using elementary functions, however I would like to avoid adding any error if at all necessary. Thanks!

--

SurfaceThought

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mpb
mpb
Level VII

Re: Is there a way to calculate erfc(x) in JMP?

erf(X) = 2 * Normal Distribution( :X * Root( 2, 2 ) ) - 1

erfc(X) = 1 - erf(X) = 2 * Normal Distribution(-:X * Root( 2, 2 ) )

where "Normal Distribution()" is the cumulative normal distribution function available in JMP for use in either scripts or column formulas.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
mpb
mpb
Level VII

erf(X) = 2 * Normal Distribution( :X * Root( 2, 2 ) ) - 1

erfc(X) = 1 - erf(X) = 2 * Normal Distribution(-:X * Root( 2, 2 ) )

where "Normal Distribution()" is the cumulative normal distribution function available in JMP for use in either scripts or column formulas.

surfacethought
Level III

Alright I think this is very much on the right track, thank you so much. I just have one question, whats the purpose of the colon inside the Normal Distribution function?

Edit: Yeah that's definitely what I needed. You rock! thanks for the help!

pmroz
Super User

The colon indicates that X is a column name.  If you are defining a column formula in terms of other columns, this is how you would reference it.

surfacethought
Level III

Oh okay great that's easy enough .

Thank You!